(单词翻译:单击)
听力文本
And now Words and Their Stories from VOA Learning English.
欢迎收听VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目
On this show we talk about words and expressions in the English language.
在这个节目中,我们谈论英语中的单词和短语
Today, we talk about gold.
今天,我们谈论黄金
Gold is a highly-valued metal.
黄金是一种价值很高的金属
We also use the word "gold" to describe a person or thing of extreme quality or value.
我们也用“gold”这个词来形容极具品质或价值的人或物
For example, if a friend stood by you in very difficult times, you can say that your friendship is gold to you.
例如,如果一个朋友在非常困难的时候支持你,你可以说你们的友谊对你来说如金子一般珍贵
Here is another example.
下面是另一个例子
If you want to convince someone that they can trust you, you can tell them that your word is gold.
如果你想让别人相信你,你可以告诉他们你的话堪比黄金
That means your word has value.
意思是你的话是有价值的
You are honest, and they can trust what you say.
你很诚实,他们可以相信你说的话
In English, the word "gold" appears in many expressions.
在英语中,“gold”一词出现在许多短语中
Today we talk about two. One is a compliment, something nice to say about someone or something.
今天我们来谈论两个短语
The other is an insult, something bad to say about someone or something.
另一个表示侮辱,即说某人或某事的坏话
Let's start with the insult.
让我们从表示侮辱的那个短语开始讲吧
That expression is: "All that glitters is not gold."
这句话是:“All that glitters is not gold.”
First, what does it mean to glitter? To glitter means to shine brightly.
首先,glitter是什么意思?glitter的意思是闪闪发光
Imagine an object that shines by reflecting small flashes of bright light.
想象一个物体通过反射微弱的亮光而发光
It is glittering. For example, the diamond glittered in the sunlight.
这就是闪闪发光
Glitter can also mean to shine with strong emotion.
Glitter也可以指因强烈的情感而发光
For example, if someone looks very angry, you can say that their eyes glittered in anger.
例如,如果某人看起来非常生气,你可以说他们的眼睛闪烁着愤怒的光芒
But in today's expression we are talking about something that looks beautiful because it is so bright and shiny.
但在今天的短语中,我们要谈论的是一些看起来很美的东西,因为它是如此明亮和闪亮
"All that glitters is not gold" means something seems wonderful and beautiful, but in fact is not.
“All that glitters is not gold”的意思是某物看起来奇妙而美丽,但实际上并非如此
You can also move the word "not" and say it this way: "Not all that glitters is gold."
你也可以把not放在前面,这样说:“Not all that glitters is gold.”
When we say "not all that glitters is gold" we mean that just because something looks attractive does not mean it is valuable.
当我们说“not all that glitters is gold”时,我们的意思是,仅仅因为某物看起来有吸引力,并不意味着它就有价值
The attractive appearance of something is not a clear sign of its true nature.
某物的吸引人的外表并不是其本质的明确标志
Another way to say this is "appearances can be deceiving."
另一种说法是“appearances can be deceiving.”
Now, let's hear it used in two examples.
现在,我们来听两个例子
I thought that my new computer would be great.
我以为我的新电脑一定很棒
And … it's not?
难道不是吗?
No. It just cost a lot of money and looks nice.
不
You know what they say, "All that glitters is not gold."
常言道:“发光的不一定都是金子
Hey, how is the new job going?
嘿,新工作怎么样?
Well … it's okay.
嗯,还行
Just okay? Last month you told me it was much better than your current job -- more money, better office, and the chance to meet famous people.
还行?上个月你告诉我,这份工作比你那时的工作好多了——工资更高,办公室更好,还有见到名人的机会
Well, let's just say not all that glitters is gold. The job may pay well, but my co-workers are just awful. I'm really unhappy.
好吧,这么说吧,并不是所有发光的东西都是金子
Now for the compliment--the nice thing to say about someone.
现在来谈论表示赞美的短语,即说某人的好话
That expression is: "Worth your weight in gold."
这句话就是:“Worth your weight in gold.”
Imagine if someone made a sculpture of you out of gold.
想象一下,如果有人用金子为你雕刻了一座雕塑
It would weigh a lot, and it would be worth a lot of money. And to us, our listeners are worth their weight in gold!
它很重,也很值钱
And that's all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories. Until next time … I'm Anna Matteo.
以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容
译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!