(单词翻译:单击)
"Are you Evrémonde?"
"你是埃弗蒙吗?"
"Yes,"replied Darnay.
"是的 。"代尔那回答 。
"You will go to the prison of La Force!"
"你要进拉弗尔斯监狱 。"
"But why?'"asked Darnay."Under what law?"
"可是为什么?"代尔那问 。"依据什么法律?"
"We have new laws, Evrémonde,"said the official sharply,
"我们有了新的法律,埃弗蒙,"那个官员厉声说 。
"and emigrants have no rights. You will be held in secret. Take him away."
"流亡者没有权利;你将被秘密关押起来 。把他带走!"
As Darnay left, the first official said quietly to him,
代尔那正要走,第一位官员悄声问他:
"Are you the man who married the daughter of Dr Manette?"
"你是和马内特医生的女儿结婚的那个人吗?"
"Yes,"replied Darnay in surprise.
"是呀."代尔那惊讶地口答 。
"My name is Defarge and I have a wine-shop in Saint Antoine.
"我叫得法热,我在圣安东尼有一家酒店,
Perhaps you have heard of me."
也许你听说过我 。"
"Yes. My wife came to your house to find her father."
"是的,我妻子曾去你家里找回了他父亲 。"
"Why did you come back to France? It will be very bad for you."
"你为什么要回法国呢?这对你太糟糕了 。"
Darnay was taken to the prison of La Force
代尔那被送进了拉弗尔斯监狱,
and put in a cold empty room with a locked door and bars across the windows.
而且被关进一个寒冷而空荡的房间 。门上了锁,窗户封了铁条 。
He thought of Dr Manette and his many years alone, forgotten, in the Bastille.
他想起了马内特医生在巴士底狱里多年孤独和被人遗忘的日子 。
"Now I, too, have been buried alive,"he thought.
"现在,我也被活埋了 。"他想着 。
人物简介:
果然,他最后实践了自己的诺言,为了路希的幸福,顶替达尔奈走上断头台,含着微笑,宁静地走完了人生最后的路 。作者认为此举乃是人道主义最美的篇章 。狄更斯认为,无论是贵族的暴力还是革命的暴力,通通应予以废除;凡施暴力于别人者,都没有好下场 。只有高踞于任何暴力之上的人道的化身卡尔登才是不朽的 。