(单词翻译:单击)
'Well, I'm not going to France. But you are, and I'm worried about you.'
"去法国的不是我,是你,而且我很担心你 。"
Just at that moment a bank clerk put an old,
就在这时一个银行职员把一封旧的,
unopened letter on Mr Lorry's desk,
没有打开的信放在了劳里先生的桌子上 。
and Darnay happened to see the name on it:
代尔那正巧看见了信封上的名字,
The Marquis of Evrémonde, at Tellson's Bank, London.
上面写着:伦敦,台尔森银行·埃弗蒙侯爵 。
Since his uncle's death, this was Darnay's real name.
在他叔叔死后,这就成了代尔那真正的名字 。
On the morning of his wedding to Lucie he had told Dr Manette,
在他和路茜举行婚礼的那天早晨他就告诉了马内特医生,
but the Doctor had made him promise to keep his name secret.
但是医生自己答应将他的名字保密 。
Not even Lucie or Mr Lorry knew.
所以,甚至路茜和劳里先生都不知道 。
'We can't find this Marquis, ' said the clerk.
"我们找不到这个侯爵 。"那个职员说 。
'I know where to find him, ' said Darnay.'Shall I take the letter?'
"我知道上哪儿去找他 。"代尔那说 。"可以把这封信给我吗?"
'That would be very kind, ' said Mr Lorry.
"那真是太好了 。"劳里先生说 。
As soon as he had left the bank, Darnay opened the letter.
一离开银行,代尔那就打开了信 。
It was from Monsieur Gabelle,
信是加贝尔先生写来的,
who had been arrested and taken to Paris. Monsieur, once the Marquis
他已经被抓了起来而且被送到了巴黎 。
I am in prison, and I may lose my life,
先生,前侯爵:我在监狱里,而且也许会丧命,
because I worked for a landowner who has left France.
罪名是我曾为一个离开了法国的地主效劳 。
You told me to work for the people and not against them,
您曾告诉我要为人民效力而且不要反对他们,
and I have done this. But no one believes me.
我这样做了,但是没有人相信我 。
They say only that I worked for an emigrant, and where is that emigrant?
他们只说我是为一个流亡者效力 。还有就是那个流亡者在哪儿?
Oh Monsieur, please help me, I beg you!
啊,先生,请帮帮我吧,求求您了!
人物形象分析:
他希望,贵族阶级的人物都像达尔奈一样,反躬自省、仁慈善良,主动放弃贵族阶级特权,废除不人道的暴政,这样将会缓和已经尖锐的社会矛盾,避免一场浩劫;而不要像厄弗瑞蒙德侯爵兄弟一样,滥用特权、暴虐无道、激化矛盾,导致人民革命的爆发 。