(单词翻译:单击)
惯用口语
1.惯用口语句子:
I'm afraid of snakes.
我害怕蛇。
snake n. 蛇
I have a fear of being in small places.
我害怕置身于狭小的空间里。
fear n. 害怕,恐惧
You scared me.
= You frightened me.
你吓坏我了。
You scared me to death.
你把我吓死了。
scare v. 惊吓,使受吓
frighten v. 使惊吓
death n. 死亡
That horror movie made my hair stand on end.
那部恐怖电影吓得我头发都竖起来了。
horror movie“恐怖电影”
make one's hair stand on end“使某人吓得头发都竖起来了”
We were horror-stricken when we saw the accident.
我们目睹了这起意外,都吓坏了。
horror-stricken a. 吓坏的 ( = horror-struck )
I was scared silly.
我都吓傻了。
I get scared.
我害怕了。
I almost lost it.
吓得我不知所措。
My blood ran cold.
吓得我不寒而栗。
blood n. 血
It gave me goose bumps.
吓得我起了一声鸡皮疙瘩。
goose n. 鹅(其复数形式为geese)
bump n. 隆起部分,肿块
pimple n. 疙瘩,丘疹
goose bumps=goose pimples“鸡皮疙瘩”
实用对话
2.实用对话
Fear害怕
Harry: Do you want to hear something spooky? I met my uncle yesterday.
哈里:你想听我讲一些鬼的事情吗?我昨天遇到我叔叔了。
Sally: Big deal! That's not very scary. Next you'll tell me he's dead.
萨利:有什么了不起的!这并不吓人,你接下来定会告诉我他死了。
Harry: He died o ten years ago.
哈里:他十年前就去世了。
Sally: Stop playing around. You know. I get scared when you start talking like this.
萨利:别瞎说了。你知道,你这么一说我就开始害怕了。
Harry: You big coward! I'm just joking.
哈里:你真是个胆小鬼!我只是开玩笑而已。
Sally: You know, I get spooked from ghost stories and scary movies. The scary movies made my hair stand on end, and
keep me awake at night.
萨利:你知道我被鬼故事和恐怖电影吓着了。恐怖电影把我吓得头发都竖起来了,晚上也睡不着觉。
Harry: Actually, I wasn't completely joking. I saw him in a dream last night.
哈里:实际上,我也没有完全在开玩笑,昨晚我确实梦到他了。
Sally: Maybe you just miss him.
萨利:可能是你想他了。
Harry: Yeah, he was a great uncle, very kind to me, when he was alive.
哈里:是啊。他是个很好的叔叔,生前对我很好的,
Sally: Next time try not to scare me too much with your stories. You know it upsets me.
萨利:下次可别拿这种故事来吓我了,你知道这会使我心神不宁的。
Harry: OK. I promise.
哈里:好的。我保证。
详细解说
3.详细解说
1.“big deal”可以指“至关重要的大事,了不起的事物”。用作反语时,表示蔑视 ,例如: We're getting a salary increase of 40
pounds a year, before tax. Big deal!(我们的工资一年要增加40英镑,还是税前的。这可真是一笔大钱啊!)
2.本对话中出现了“dead”和“die”,“详解惯用单句”中出现“death”,这三个词的关系如下:动词为“die”,表示“死”;名词为
“death”,表示“死亡”;形容词为“dead”,意为“死的”。
3.形容词“alive”意为“活着的”,只能用作表语,其后不能跟名词。
4.文化洗礼
胆小如“鸡”与“chicken out”
美国俚语中,“chicken”可用来表示“胆小的”,常用的一个和“chicken”有关的习语是:chicken out。
“chicken out”的意思是:原来计划好做一件事,但是到最后一刻却害怕了,感到完成不了,于是便中途停止或放弃,也可以说是临阵退缩。这种事情几乎每个人都在不同情况下经历过…
Today I was sure I could work up my courage and dive off the ten meter board at the pool. I walked right out to the edge,
but then I chickened out-it looked like a long way down to the water!
我原来以为今天我肯定会鼓足了勇气从游泳池那个十米高的跳台上跳下去。可是,当我走到跳台边缘的时候却退缩。从跳台到水面的距离看起来好远啊!
下面再来看一个例子:
My friend Joe was planning to get married for the fourth time. But at the last moment he chickened out because his first three
marriages ended in divorce and he was afraid to take another chance.
我的朋友乔原来准备要第四次结婚。可是,到了最后一刻他胆怯了,因为他结过三次婚,最后结局都是离婚,所以他怕这次又会不成功。