BBC《新福尔摩斯》第三季精讲第251期:被议员审问的神秘嘉宾
日期:2015-02-01 11:22

(单词翻译:单击)

原文欣赏


Mr Magnussen, please state your full name for the record.
麦格纳森先生 请陈述你的全名以作记录
Charles Augustus Magnussen.
查尔斯·奥古斯塔斯·麦格纳森
Mr Magnussen,how would you describe your influence over the Prime Minister?
麦格纳森先生,你会如何形容自己对首相的影响力
The British Prime Minister?
现任英国首相吗
Any of the British Prime Ministers you have known.
你认识的所有英国首相
I never had the slightest influence over any of them.Why would I?
我对他们毫无影响力,怎麼会有呢?
I notice you've had seven meetings at Downing Street this year.Why?
你今年在唐寧街参加过七次会议,為什麼?
Because I was invited.
我是受邀前往.
Can you recall the subjects under discussion?
能谈谈会议内容吗?
Not without being more indiscreet than I believe is appropriate.
我认為这麼做就太不谨慎了.
Do you think it right that a newspaper proprietor,a private individual, and in fact a foreign national,
你认為一个报社老闆,一个普通人,甚至还是外国人.
should have such regular access to our Prime Minister?
应该如此频繁地接触首相吗?
I don't think it's wrong that a private individual should accept an invitation.
我认為,一个普通人接受邀请没什麼不对.
However, you have my sincere apologies for being foreign.
但我要為自己是外国人诚挚道歉.
That's not what I meant. That is not in any way...
我不是这个意思 不是这样的...
Mr Magnussen, can you recall an occasion when your remarks could have influenced government policy?
麦格纳森先生,回想一下,你的言辞是否曾对政府政策產生影响
Or the Prime Minister's thinking in any way? - No.
或是以任何方式影响到首相的想法? - 没有
Are you sure?
你确定吗?
I have an excellent memory.
我记性很好.


妙语佳句

Cater (pp. & pt. catered)
vt.& vi.提供饮食及服务
vt.满足需要,适合;投合,迎合
n.(骰子,纸牌的)四点

Minorca is the sort of place that caters for families...
梅诺卡岛是那种适合家庭旅游的地方。
Exercise classes cater to all levels of fitness.
各种健身班会照顾到不同身体状况的人。
Nunsmere Hall can cater for receptions of up to 300 people...
纳恩斯米尔酒店最多可以同时接待300人。

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ornament
n.装饰;装饰物;[乐]装饰音
v.装饰;美化

A shelf containing a few photographs and ornaments.
摆放着几张照片和些许装饰品的架子
I guessed he was the chief because he wore more gold ornaments than the others.
我估计他是酋长,因为他戴的金饰最多。
Walls of glass overlaid with ornament.
贴着装饰物的玻璃墙

-------------------------------------------------------------------

On the agenda
列入会议议程的

Keeping trade between two of the world's biggest exporters buoyant seems to be high on the agenda.
让两个出口大国之间的贸易稳定运行也是访问议程中的重要一项。

剧情百科


新一集的开头片就出现重量级人物,一个足以威胁英国乃至世界的人物。为什么这么说?好吧,我不剧透太多!不过想想看,为什么当他戴着眼镜时,可以从眼镜中读取个人信息呢?而这些信息的来源又是哪里呢?

欢迎继续收看《新福尔摩斯》第三季第三集。


考考你 Q&A
Q: Please use the word or phrase you just learnt to complete the sentence beblow.

1.Investors in singapore recently could buy so-called _____ bonds through automated teller machines.
新加坡投资者最近可以通过自动售货机购买所谓的永久债券。
2.Many remember with pride his _____ _____ the 2003 american-led invasion of iraq.
许多人自豪地记起他反对2003年美国主导的侵略伊拉克之战的立场。


A:本期答案见下期
上期答案:

1.Some of those artillery pieces look a little elderly.
那些大炮中有些看起来有点老掉牙了。
2.A compartmentalized storage tray can help keep things organized while out of sight.
一个划分好的储物格可以帮你把这些东西归理到视线之外


分享到
重点单词
  • fitnessn. 适合度(生物学术语) n. 健康
  • priden. 自豪,骄傲,引以自豪的东西,自尊心 vt. 以 .
  • buoyantadj. 有浮力的,心情愉快的,趋于上涨的
  • invasionn. 侵入,侵略
  • storagen. 贮藏,存储,保管,保管费,仓库,[计]存储器
  • describevt. 描述,画(尤指几何图形),说成
  • appropriateadj. 适当的,相称的 vt. 拨出(款项); 占用
  • primeadj. 最初的,首要的,最好的,典型的 n. 青春,壮
  • invitationn. 邀请,招待,邀请函,引诱,招致
  • ornamentn. 装饰,装饰物 vt. 装饰