BBC《新福尔摩斯》第三季精讲第242期:没有人喜欢冷门的话题
日期:2014-10-10 12:01

(单词翻译:单击)

原文欣赏


Married.Obvious, really.
结婚了 显然易见
Our Mayfly Man was trying to escape the suffocating chains of domesticity
蜉蝣男试图逃出 令人窒息的家庭生活
and instead of endless nights in watching the telly
他不愿意在无数个夜晚枯坐电视机前
or going to barbecues with the awful, dreadful, boring people he couldn't stand,
也不愿意忍受和那些糟糕 可怕 无聊的人一起去BBQ
he used his wits, cleverness and powers of disguise to play the field. He was...
于是他凭借自己的聪明才智与高超的化妆技巧 在外寻欢作乐 他...
On second thoughts,I probably should have told you about the elephant in the room.
如果能再深入想想 我可能已经把显而易见的事实说出来了
However, it does help to further illustrate how invaluable John is to me.
不过 这确实能进一步说明 约翰对我来说是无价之宝
I can read a crime scene the way he can understand a human being.
我解读罪案现场 而他解读人性
I used to think that's what made me special quite frankly I still do.
我以前想 这就是我的特别之处 坦白讲 我现在依然这么想
But a word to the wise, should any of you require the services of either of us,
无需我多言 要是在座哪位需要我们二人的服务
I will solve your murder,but it takes John Watson to save your life.
我能为你破解谋杀案 而约翰·华生能拯救你的生命
Trust me on that, I should know,he's saved mine so many times and in so many ways.
相信我 我很清楚这一点 他用各种方式 救过我许多次
This blog is the story of two men
这个博客写的是两个男人
and their, frankly, ridiculous adventures of murder, mystery and mayhem.
极其荒诞的冒险故事 故事里充斥着谋杀 秘密与伤害
But from now on, there's a new story.A bigger adventure.
但在今天 一个全新的故事要开始了 一次更大的冒险
Ladies and gentlemen,pray, charge your glasses and be upstanding.
女士们先生们 请举杯起立
Today begin the adventures of Mary Elizabeth Watson and John Hamish Watson.
就在今天 玛丽·伊丽莎白·华生与约翰·哈密什·华生的冒险开始了
The two reasons why every single one of us is...
有两个理由来解释 为什么我们每一个人...


妙语佳句

Underground
adj.地下的;秘密的;先锋派的;隐蔽的

The plane hit so hard that one engine was buried 16 feet underground.
飞机猛烈撞击地面,致使一个引擎陷到了地下16英尺处。
The underground is ideal for getting to work in Milan.
在米兰,乘地铁去上班非常便捷。
These US dollars were smuggled into the country during the war, to aid the underground.
战争期间,这些美元被偷运到该国,用以资助那里的地下组织。

-------------------------------------------------------

Experience (pp. & pt. experienced)
n.经验,体验;经历,阅历
vt.亲身参与,亲身经历;感受;发现

He's counting on his mother to take care of the twins for him; she's had plenty of experience with them.
他靠母亲帮忙照顾他的双胞胎;她在这方面很有经验。
I should not be in any danger here, but experience has taught me caution...
我在这里应该不会有任何危险,但是经验告诉我要小心。
His only experience of gardening so far proved immensely satisfying...
到目前为止他唯一的一次园艺经历非常令人满意。
We had never experienced this kind of holiday before and had no idea what to expect...
我们以前从未有过这样的假期,不知道会怎么样。
Widows seem to experience more distress than do widowers.
寡妇似乎比鳏夫更痛苦。

-------------------------------------------------------

Calculate (pp. & pt. calculated)
vt.& vi.计算;估计;打算,计划;旨在
vt.预测,推测

We calculate that the average size farm in Lancaster County is 65 acres...
我们计算出兰开斯特郡的农场面积平均为65英亩。
I believe I am capable of calculating the political consequences accurately...
我觉得我能准确预料此事的政治后果。
From this you can calculate the total mass in the Galaxy...
由此你可以算出银河系的总质量。

剧情百科

Sherlock一边热情讲诉'露水情人',一边关注观众的表情。很明显,这有要高思维考虑的话题,场下所有人包括台上两位主角也并不敢兴趣。好在Sherlock意识到这点并把话题再次转回到John身上才停止。不过,到了视频后方,摄影师在拍摄时,Sherlock手中的杯子却突然滑落。Sherlock突然想到什么呢?


考考你 Q&A
Q: Please use the word or phrase you just learnt to complete the sentence beblow.

1.A presidential election was _____ for last December...
总统选举原计划在去年 12 月举行。
2.The resulting salty water will be _____ at sea...
所产生的盐水将被排入大海。


A:本期答案见下期
上期答案:

1.An apple tree producing square fruit is baffling experts.
一棵结方形苹果的树令专家大惑不解
2.Gautier's solution to the puzzle is ingenious.
戈蒂埃破解这道难题的方法很巧妙

分享到
重点单词
  • escapev. 逃跑,逃脱,避开 n. 逃跑,逃脱,(逃避)方法、
  • understandvt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为
  • calculatev. 计算,估计,核算,计划,认为
  • planeadj. 平的,与飞机有关的 n. 飞机,水平,水准,刨
  • disguisen. 假面目,伪装物,假装 vt. 假装,假扮,掩饰
  • scenen. 场,景,情景
  • calculatedadj. 计算出的;适合的;有计划的 v. 计算;估计;
  • domesticityn. (喜欢)家庭生活,顾家
  • electionn. 选举
  • phrasen. 短语,习语,个人风格,乐句 vt. 措词表达,将(