BBC《新福尔摩斯》第三季精讲第226期:最困难亦最有挑战性的任务
日期:2014-09-24 17:17

(单词翻译:单击)

原文欣赏


John Watson.My friend, John Watson.
约翰·华生的朋友 约翰·华生
John...When John first broached the subject of being best man, I was confused.
约翰...当初约翰邀我当伴郎 我就困惑了
Sherlock? - What was that noise downstairs?
夏洛克? - 楼下那些噪音是怎么回事?-
Oh, it was Mrs Hudson laughing.
哈德森太太在大笑
Hmm, it sounded like she was torturing an owl.
听起来像是她在折磨一只猫头鹰
Yeah, well, it was laughter. - Could have been both.
实际上是笑声 - 可以同时发生
Busy? - Oh, just occupying myself. Sometimes it's so hard not smoking.
在忙吗? - 只是让自己不闲着 没有烟有时候可难受了
Mind if I interrupt? - Be my guest.
我能打搅一下吗? - 你随意.
Tea? - Er...
要茶吗? - 呃...
So, er, the big question. - Mm-hmm?
有个很重要的问题. - 什么?
The best man. - The best man?
最好的人(伴郎), - 最好的人?
What do you think? - Billy Kincaid.
你觉得怎么样? - 比利·金凯德
Sorry, what?
抱歉 什么?
Billy Kincaid, the Camden Garrotter, best man I ever knew.Vast contributions to charity, never disclosed.
比利·金凯德 就是卡姆登绞杀者 是我所知道最好的人,斥巨资支持慈善事业 却从不公开
Personally managed to save three hospitals from closure and ran the best and safest children's homes in north England.
凭一己之力挽救了3家将要倒闭的医院,并经营了北英格兰最好最安全的儿童之家
Yes, every now and again there'd be some garrotings, but stacking up the lives saved against the garrotings, on balance
没错 他偶尔还绞死几个人 不过从数量上比较一下他救助的人和被他绞杀的人
I'd say he... - For my wedding.For me, I need a best man.
我会说... - 我说我的婚礼,我需要一位伴郎
Oh, right. - Maybe not a garrotter.
噢对 - 不要绞杀者
Gavin? - Who?
盖文? - 谁?
Gavin Lestrade? He's a man and good at it.
盖文·雷斯垂德? 他是个男的而且很擅长这个
It's Greg. And he's not my best friend.
他叫格雷格 但他不是我最要好的朋友
Oh, Mike Stanford, I see.Well, he's nice. Um, though I'm not sure how well he'd cope with all...
哦 是麦克·斯坦福 他还不错 但我觉得他也许不能很好地处理这些...
No, Mike's great, but HE'S not my best friend.
不是 麦克很棒 但是他不是我最好的朋友.
Look, Sherlock, this is the biggest and most important day of my life... -Well...
夏洛克 这是我人生中最重要的一天... - 那个...
No, it is. It is.And I want to be up there with the two people that I love and care about most in the world. - Yes.
是的,我想和这世界上我最爱 最关心的两个人一同度过. - 嗯
So Mary Morstan... - Yes.
玛丽·莫斯坦... - 嗯.
And...you.
和...你.
I confess at first I didn't realise he was asking me.When finally I understood, I expressed to him that I was both flattered and surprised.
我承认最开始我没有意识到他是在问我,我明白后 表示我受宠若惊
I explained to him that I'd never expected this request and I was a little daunted in the face of it.
我向他解释 这请求在我意料之外 也有些后怕.
Sherlock...
夏洛克...
I nonetheless promised I would do my very best to accomplish a task which was, for me,
尽管如此 我保证我会尽我所能完成这项...
as demanding and difficult as any I had ever contemplated.
与我设想中一样吃力和困难的任务
Additionally, I thanked him for the trust he placed in me and indicated that I was,
同时 我也感谢他给予我的信任 并暗示我...
in some ways, very close to being moved by it.
我快要被感动了
No, it's getting a bit scary now.
现在的气氛有些吓人了
It later transpired that I'd said none of this out loud.
之后我才意识到 以上内容都是我的内心活动
So, in fact...You, you mean... - Yes.
所以说...你是说... - 是的.
I'm your...best...friend? - Man.
我是你的...最好的...朋友? - 伴郎.
Yeah, of course you are.Of course... You're my best friend.
对 你当然是,你当然是我最好的朋友
How was that? - Surprisingly OK.
味道如何? - 出奇地好.


妙语佳句

Obtain (pp. & pt. obtained)
vt.获得,得到;流行;买到,达到(目的)
vi.通行,通用;流行;存在

Evans was trying to obtain a false passport and other documents...
埃文斯正试图取得一本假护照和其他证件。
The longer this situation obtains, the more extensive the problems become.
这种局面持续的时间越长,问题波及的范围就越广。

-------------------------------------------------------

Blame (pp. & pt. blamed)
vt.指责,责怪;归咎于
n.责备;责任;过失

Ms Carey appeared to blame her breakdown on EMI's punishing work schedule...
凯丽女士似乎将她的精神崩溃归咎于百代唱片公司高度紧张的工作日程安排。
Some of the blame for the miscarriage of justice must be borne by the solicitors...
律师们应对误判负部分责任。
He slammed the door and stormed off. I could hardly blame him.
他砰的一声关上门,气呼呼地走了。也难怪他会这么做。
The policy is partly to blame for causing the worst unemployment in Europe.
欧洲出现了最严重的失业情况,这应当部分归咎于这项政策。
My life is ruined and I suppose I only have myself to blame.
我的一生都毁了,我想这只能怪我自己。

-------------------------------------------------------

Novelty
n.新奇;新奇的事物;新颖小巧而价廉的物品

In the contemporary western world, rapidly changing styles cater to a desire for novelty and individualism.
在当代西方社会,快速变化的时尚迎合了人们追求新奇和个性的需求。
It came from the days when a motor car was a novelty.
这要从轿车还是新鲜玩意儿那会儿说起。
At Easter, we give them plastic eggs filled with small toys, novelties and coins.
复活节时,我们给他们分发塑料彩蛋,里面装着小玩具、新颖的小玩意儿和硬币。

剧情百科

万万没想到,Sherlock万万没想到自己居然被人视为知己,亦最好的朋友!不过我们也不会大惊小怪,情商零的Sherlock又怎么知道John心目里已经将他和Marry并排最重的地位。其实,从自己在给John心理创下巨伤并失踪两年依然得到原谅也可以推出自己已经是John的Best Man。


考考你 Q&A
Q: Please use the word or phrase you just learnt to complete the sentence beblow.

1.This child became _____ because his parent's got a divorce.
这个孩子因为父母离婚而变得性格孤僻。
2.Planning in advance should help to avoid _____ catastrophic misunderstandings.
提前计划可以避免潜在的灾难性的误解。


A:本期答案见下期
上期答案:

1.He is having therapy to conquer his phobia.
他在接受治疗以克服自己的恐惧症。
2.His widow became a virtual recluse for the remainder of her life.
他的寡妻孤寂地度过了余生。

分享到
重点单词
  • contemporaryn. 同时代的人 adj. 同时代的,同时的,现代的
  • accomplishvt. 完成
  • individualismn. 个人主义
  • caterv. 备办食物,迎合,满足
  • confessv. 承认,告白,忏悔
  • phrasen. 短语,习语,个人风格,乐句 vt. 措词表达,将(
  • requestn. 要求,请求 vt. 请求,要求
  • therapyn. 疗法,治疗
  • nonethelessadv. 尽管如此(仍然)
  • blamen. 过失,责备 vt. 把 ... 归咎于,责备