(单词翻译:单击)
职场社交英语 Lesson 46:你怎能那么肯定?
SCENE② D 吉娜与戴夫在各自的隔间里工作
【你怎能那么肯定?】
Dave: Do you really think we can beat WebTracker?
戴夫: 你真觉得我们能打败“网路搜寻家”?
Zina: Of course.
吉娜: 当然。
Dave: How can you be so sure? Do you know something I don't?
戴夫: 你怎能那么肯定?你是不是知道什么隐情?
Zina: I have a plan for 1) handling WebTracker. Step one is the Stars.com 2) contract.
吉娜: 我有对付“网路搜寻家”的计划。第一步就是拿到Stars.com的合约。
Dave: What's step two?
戴夫: 那第二步是什么?
Zina: Don't worry about that, Dave. Look, I have to see Vince now. Think about what I said.
吉娜: 不用操心,戴夫。听着,我现在要去找文斯。你想想我说的话。
语言详解
A: I can't handle having so much homework.
功课这么多,我应付不过来。
B: Maybe you should get a tutor.
也许你该去找个家教。
【Do you know something I don't? 你是不是知道什么隐情?】
要向对方打听秘密的说词很多种,直接的办法如Tell me the secret 或Let me know what you have found out 等等。但比较婉转的似比较好,上面对话中的Do you know something I don't? 就是不错的说词,这句话的意思是Do you know something I don't know?
A: Our football team is going to win the match at 2 to 1 this afternoon.
我们的足球队下午会以二比一踢赢球赛。
B: Wait a minute. Do you know something I don't?
稍等一下。你是不是知道什么隐情?
A: If you are a gambler, you have your ways to get tips.
如果你是个赌徒,你总有办法弄到内部消息。
B: Are you sure the other team can be bought?
你真的认为客队是可以收买的吗?
1) handle (v.) 对付,应付
2) contract (n.) 合约