(单词翻译:单击)
职场社交英语 Lesson 5:我要提供你认股权
SCENE② B 隔周,吉娜到老板的隔间去看他
【我要提供你认股权】
Vince: I want to 1) offer you more InfoKing stock options.
文斯: 我要提供你资讯王的认股权。
Zina: When you hired me, you knew you were going to be low on cash, didn't you?
吉娜: 你在雇用我的当时,就知道你会缺现金,对吧?
Vince: Let me explain. To get more cash, I'll have to borrow more from Vikam, the 2) venture 3) capitalists.
文斯: 容我解释。为了要有更多现金,我就得跟投资我们的维康创投借更多的钱。
Zina: I know how it works. You don't want to give away any more of your future 4) profits than you have to.
吉娜: 我知道这种运作方式。除非万不得已,你不会想把更多未来的利润拱手让人。
Vince: Exactly. Instead of 5) increasing their 6) position, I want to increase yours.
文斯: 正是。我不增加他们的股权,反倒要增加你的。
语言详解
A: I'm going to offer you a position in our sales department.
我要提供我们业务部的一个职位给你。
B: Thank you.
谢谢您。
【I know how it works. 我知道规矩。】
这里的work不是指“工作”,而是指“事物运作的道理与规范”,类似于行规的概念:
A:I am afraid we are going to have to fire you.
我恐怕我们得要开除你了。
B:It's OK, I know how it works. You just don't like me.
没关系,我知道行规。你就是看不惯我。
【give away 送掉】
give away 这个短语看起来很简单,不过有许多常用的意思,对话中所用到的give away 是指“赠送”。
A: Why did you give your bicycle away?
你为何把你的脚踏车送掉了?
B: It's too old. I want to get a new one anyway.
那台太老了。反正我要换新的。
1) offer (v.) 提供
2) venture (n.) 具冒险性的事业
3) capitalist (n.) 出资者,金主,capital 是“资金”。
4) profit (n.) 利润
5) increase (v.) 增加
6) position (n.) 地位,此指“股权”。