(单词翻译:单击)
职场社交英语 Lesson 38:他看不到大局
SCENE④ B 在吉娜的隔间
【他看不到大局】
Dave: That's what made Elvin so mad. I think he wants to 1) strangle you.
戴夫: 艾文就是因为这档事而气急败坏。我想他要把你勒死。
Zina: Oh, Elvin doesn't know anything. He can't see the big picture.
吉娜: 喔,艾文啥都不懂。他看不到大局。
Dave: Well, he doesn't know that you 2) recruited extra programmers. How did you 3) manage that?
戴夫: 呃,他不知道你又新招募了程序设计师。你是怎么办到的?
Zina: I just sat down with the 4) venture capitalist boys from Vikam and asked for more money.
吉娜: 我只是跟我们的投资方 “维康”的那些人坐下来,跟他们多要了些钱。
Dave: Can you do that? Isn't this Vince's company?
戴夫: 你这样行吗?这不是文斯的公司吗?
Zina: 5) For now it is.
吉娜: 暂时是。
Dave: Uh-oh. Here comes Elvin.
戴夫: 不妙。艾文来了。
语言详解
A: Arnold began managing his own company at the age of 23.
阿诺二十三岁就管理他自己的公司。
B: He must be a genius.
他一定是个天才。
【He can't see the big picture. 他看不到大局。】
big picture是“全局,大局”的意思,can't see the big picture是指仅能着眼于眼前发生的事,无法看出事物的整体性,没有综观全局,长期规划的能力。
A: We'll only be able to pay everyone's salaries after our business establishes itself.
唯有在开始营运之后,我们才能付大家薪水。
B: But Johnnie can't see the big picture. He's unwilling to wait. He wants to get paid now.
不过强尼看不到大局。他不愿意等。他现在就要拿薪水。
你也可以劝告、建议他人look at the big picture“从大处着眼,衡量全局”。
A: I want all our employees to get equal pay.
我要我们所有的员工都拿一样多的薪水。
B: You've got to look at the big picture. It's just not possible right now.
你得要衡量全局。这在目前是不可能的。
1) trangle (v.) 勒死,使窒息
2) recruit (v.) 雇用,招募
3) manage (v.) 管理,控制
4) venture capitalist 提供创业投资的投资方
5) for now 目前,暂时