(单词翻译:单击)
职场社交英语 Lesson 43:一张绿色便条纸
SCENE② A 吉娜与戴夫在各自的隔间里工作
【又一张绿色便条纸】
Zina: Hey, Dave. Look at this another green note. Someone must have left it while I was in LA.
吉娜: 嘿,戴夫。你看这个--又一张绿色便条纸。一定是有人趁我去洛城的时候放的。
Dave: What does it say this time? Is it a death threat?
戴夫: 这次是写什么?索命威胁啊?
Zina: It says, "my dear kitten, / I'm sorry I haven't written. / It doesn't mean I'm not still 1) smitten. / I am."
吉娜: 上面写着:“我亲爱的小猫,抱歉好一阵子没捎信, 这可不是我不魂牵梦萦。我仍迷恋着你。”
Dave: You've got to 2) admit, he does have a way with words.
戴夫: 你得承认他还真会舞文弄墨。
Zina: It's a bunch of 3) mush! Where does he get off calling me a kitten?
吉娜: 为赋新词强说愁!他凭什么叫我“小猫”?
Dave: 4) Considering how you've been 5) behaving, I'll admit it is a bit surprising.
戴夫: 由你最近的行为看来,我承认这种称呼有些让人意外。
语言详解
A: Do you admit that what you did was wrong?
你承认你做错了吗?
B: I admit it, but I'm not sorry.
我承认,但我不感到抱歉。
【have a way with...对……很有一套】
have a way with...是指交际手腕或是对某方面的造诣很高,可以用在人与人的关系上:
A: She has a way with men.
她对于男人很有一套。
B: That's because she's young and sexy.
那是因为她年轻又性感。
【Where does he get off...他凭什么……】
当你觉得某人做得太过分,不禁质疑起他有何权利这样做的时候,你就可以用上这个表达法Where does he get off...“他凭什么……”
A: Where does he get off telling me I need to lose some weight?
他凭什么跟我说我应该要减重?
B: He's your doctor. He's just concerned about your health.
他是你的医生,他只是关心你的健康。
1) smite (v.) 使神魂颠倒。smitten是过去分词当形容词用,表示被动的意思。
2) admit (v.) 承认
3) mush (n.) 过分的多愁善感
4) considering (adv., prep) 鉴于……,考虑到……
5) behave (v.) 举止,行为