《名人传记》之史蒂夫·乔布斯传03:读取学位是虚度光阴?
日期:2014-03-29 20:35

(单词翻译:单击)

《名人传记》之史蒂夫·乔布斯传 03

What about your classes?

你的课程上得怎么样?

I'm not a student anymore, Jack.

我不再是学生了 杰克


Well, you're here, and you're learning.

呃 你在这里(旁听) 学习

Sure sounds like a student to me.

于我而言 你跟学生没什么分别

If you want me gone...

如果你想赶我走...

Why would I want you gone, Steven?

我为什么要赶你走啊 史蒂夫?

I'm glad that you're here.

我很高兴你愿意待在这里

Whether you're paying or not.

付不付学费都没关系

Now, you're always carrying this notebook around.

现在 你经常拿个本子闲晃

You obviously fancy yourself as an artist.

貌似你自诩是个艺术家吧

Why don't you sit in on some design classes?

为什么不去上个设计类的课程呢?

No. Well, I like the idea of art, the beauty.

不 呃 我喜欢艺术之美

But only in the right context.

但是仅限于言之有物的那种艺术

Just not as a career. I don't have the necessary talents.

但是我并不想以此为职业生涯 我没有那种天分

But aren't you interested in electronics? What about engineering?

但你不是对电子设备感兴趣吗? 工程类课程如何?

There's a growing market for qualified technicians. What about that?

合格的工程师的就业前景看涨 你看这主意怎么样?

I don't want to spend my parents' money to get a degree and become something as forgettable as an electrician.

我不想花我父母的钱去读取一个学位了事 而且不想成为...这么容易被人淡忘的电气工程师

Excuse me, what,a degree is a waste of time now? So...

等会儿 什么 读取一个学位是虚度光阴? 因此...

For some.For others it offers validation. Job security.

对某些人而言是的,对另外一些人而言 它是很有效的证明 工作保证。

Steve... I'll see you around.Steven.To be continued.

史蒂夫... 拜拜 史蒂文。那下次再聊

What are you working on?

你在干什么?

Nothing, really. It's homework for calligraphy class.

没什么 书法课的家庭作业而已

It's beautiful.Yeah, the teacher's this monk, or something.

很漂亮啊,是的 这门课的老师是一位僧侣。

A monk?Yeah. Robert Palladino.

僧侣?是 他叫罗伯特 帕拉迪诺

He's totally inspiring.

他的课非常有启发性

My name's Julie.

对了 我叫茱莉

《乔布斯传》第二十二章 再度降临 148

What Rough Beast, Its Hour Come Round at Last . . .

何等野兽 终于等到它的时辰

Steve Jobs, 1996 Things Fall Apart

万物解体

When Jobs unveiled the NeXT computer in 1988, there was a burst of excitement. That fizzled when the computer finally went on sale the following year. Jobs’s ability to dazzle, intimidate, and spin the press began to fail him, and there was a series of stories on the company’s woes. “NeXT is incompatible with other computers at a time when the industry is moving toward interchangeable systems,” Bart Ziegler of Associated Press reported. “Because relatively little software exists to run on NeXT, it has a hard time attracting customers.”

当乔布斯1988年首度推出NeXT计算机时,引起了热烈反响。可是到第二年计算机最终上市时,市场热情却退去了。乔布斯那种让媒体眼花缭乱、心生敬畏、趋之若鹜的才能开始失效,负面新闻也层出不穷。“NeXT跟其他计算机不兼容,而当时,这个行业正向操作系统可互换的方向发展,”美联社记者巴特·齐格勒(BartZiegler)报道说,“因为相对来说,可以在NeXT上使用的现有软件很少,所以它很难吸引消费者。”


  NeXT tried to reposition itself as the leader in a new category, personal workstations, for people who wanted the power of a workstation and the friendliness of a personal computer. But those customers were by now buying them from fast-growing Sun Microsystems. Revenues for NeXT in 1990 were $28 million; Sun made $2.5 billion that year. IBM abandoned its deal to license the NeXT software, so Jobs was forced to do something against his nature: Despite his ingrained belief that hardware and software should be integrally linked, he agreed in January 1992 to license the NeXTSTEP operating system to run on other computers.

   NeXT试图将自己重新定位为一个新产品类型——个人工作站的领跑者,目

标用户是那些希望兼顾工作站的强大功能与个人计算机的友好性的人。但是这类消费者当时已经从快速发展的Sun公司买到了这样的产品。NeXT在1990年的收入是2800万美元,而同年Sun公司的收入是25亿美元。IBM放弃了向NeXT授权软件的协议,所以乔布斯被迫做了一件违背他本性的事情:虽然他根深蒂固地认为硬件和软件应该是一个不可分割的整体,但是在1992年1月,他同意授权NeXTSTEP操作系统在其他品牌的计算机上运行。


分享到
重点单词
  • incompatibleadj. 不相容的,不能并存的,矛盾的
  • friendlinessn. 亲切;友谊;亲密
  • ingrainedadj. 根深蒂固的 adj. 深嵌入纺织品或纤维的 动
  • securityn. 安全,防护措施,保证,抵押,债券,证券
  • interchangeableadj. 可互换的
  • intimidatevt. 威胁,恐吓,胁迫
  • inspiringadj. 令人振奋的,激励人的,鼓舞人心的
  • qualifiedadj. 有资格的,有限制的
  • roughadj. 粗糙的,粗略的,粗暴的,艰难的,讨厌的,不适的
  • validationn. 批准;确认;生效