(单词翻译:单击)
《名人传记》之乔布斯最后一件事
And I said, "really?
我说,"真的吗?"
Really?
"真的。"
You're sure you want To go for a walk?"
"你确定你想要散步?"
We're about halfway to the neighborhood park,
我们走到邻近的公园,
And he stops, you know.
半路上他停下来
He wasn't gasping for air or anything,
他没有大口喘气,也没有别的情况
But he was not a well-looking man,
但是看上去不太好
And I said, "steve, why don't we go back to the house?"
于是我说,"史蒂夫,我们回去吧"
And he smiled or chuckled, and he said,
他轻轻的笑着说,
"no. We're not going back to the house.
"不,我们不回去"
"I just need a minute and then we're gonna go on to the park
"只要一分钟就好,走到那个公园
"because that's my goal.
"因为那是我的目标.
"I set a goal every day,
"我每天都给自己设定一个目标
and my goal now Is to get to this park."
今天的目标就是走到那个公园."
I said, "you're sure?" and he said, "yeah."
我说,"你是认真的?" 他说 ,"当然"
So we walked to the park, and, you know, he was fine.
然后我们一起走到那个公园,而且,你知道,他没事
We talked by the way the whole way.
我们一直边走边聊,整个散步的过程中都在聊天
We were doing what he does on walks,
我们跟随他走过的道路,
Which is we were talking about different things,
谈论着各种事情,
And we got to the park, and we sat on a bench,
然后到了公园,坐在一个长凳上
And we talked about in the park,
然后我们聊了很多 在这个公园里,
If I remember correctly,
如果我没记错的话
we actually talked More about life and health and you know,
我们聊了很多关于生命和健康的话题,
I had had a heart attack some years before,
你知道的,多年前我得过心脏病
And he was lecturing me about that,
他用那件事来教训我,
And I was sort of lecturing him, as well,
而我也以此来教训了他
About work/life balance and all these things,
关于工作与生活的平衡之类的问题
And then we got up and walked back
然后我们起身走回去,
And talked some more.
又聊了很多别的事情
And the last thing he said to me was
他对我说的最后一件事情就是
"you know, walt, you and I have been "through lots of adventures over the last 15 years,
"Walt ,你和我在过去15年经历了非常多的冒险"
And we're going to have some more adventures to come."
我们将会一起经历更多的冒险."
We never did.
我们没法实现了.
on october 5, 2011, steve jobs died.
2011年10月5日 史蒂夫乔布斯去世
The next day, his closest friend and colleague
第二天,他最亲密的朋友兼同事
Steve wozniak paid his own tribute.
史蒂夫沃兹亚克发表了他的个人颂词
《乔布斯传》第二十章 凡人 爱就那么回事124
Finding Joanne and Mona
寻找乔安妮和莫娜
When Jobs was thirty-one, a year after his ouster from Apple, his mother Clara, who was a smoker, was stricken with lung cancer. He spent time by her deathbed, talking to her in ways he had rarely done in the past and asking some questions he had refrained from raising before. “When you and Dad got married, were you a virgin?” he asked. It was hard for her to talk, but she forced a smile. That’s when she told him that she had been married before, to a man who never made it back from the war. She also filled in some of the details of how she and Paul Jobs had come to adopt him.
乔布斯的母亲克拉拉是一个吸烟者。他31岁时,也就是在他离开苹果公司一年之后,母亲患上了肺癌。在她弥留之际,他陪在她的病床边,用以往少有的方式跟她聊天,问了一些一直压在心底的问题。“跟爸爸结婚的时候,你是处女吗?”他问道。她虽然难以启齿,却还是努力地给了他一个微笑。她这才告诉他,之前她结过婚,她的前夫上了战场就再没回来。她还透露了一些她和保罗·乔布斯如何领养他的细节。
Soon after that, Jobs succeeded in tracking down the woman who had put him up for adoption. His quiet quest to find her had begun in the early 1980s, when he hired a detective who had failed to come up with anything. Then Jobs noticed the name of a San Francisco doctor on his birth certificate. “He was in the phone book, so I gave him a call,” Jobs recalled. The doctor was no help. He claimed that his records had been destroyed in a fire. That was not true. In fact, right after Jobs called, the doctor wrote a letter, sealed it in an envelope, and wrote on it, “To be delivered to Steve Jobs on my death.” When he died a short time later, his widow sent the letter to Jobs. In it, the doctor explained that his mother had been an unmarried graduate student from Wisconsin named Joanne Schieble.
大概就是在那个时候,乔布斯找到了他生母的下落。从20世纪80年代初开始,他就聘用了一个侦探,开始悄悄地寻找他的生母,但什么线索都没有找到。后来乔布斯注意到他出生证上一个旧金山医生的名字。“他的姓名在电话簿上可以查到,所以我给他打了个电话。”乔布斯回忆说。那个医生没帮上忙。他声称他的记录在一场火灾中全部烧毁了。不过那不是真的。事实上,就在接到乔布斯的电话后,这个医生写了一封信,装在信封里封好,上面写着“我死后交给史蒂夫·乔布斯”。不久后他就去世了,他的遗孀把这封信寄给了乔布斯。信中,医生说他的母亲是来自威斯康星州一个未婚的研究生,名字叫乔安妮·席贝尔。
It took another few weeks and the work of another detective to track her down. After giving him up, Joanne had married his biological father, Abdulfattah “John” Jandali, and they had another child, Mona. Jandali abandoned them five years later, and Joanne married a colorful ice-skating instructor, George Simpson. That marriage didn’t last long either, and in 1970 she began a meandering journey that took her and Mona (both of them now using the last name Simpson) to Los Angeles.
乔布斯聘请了另一位侦探,几个月后找到了她的下落。在把乔布斯送人后,乔安妮还是嫁给了乔布斯的生父阿卜杜勒法塔赫·约翰·钱德里,他们后来又生了一个孩子,叫莫娜。钱德里5年后拋弃了她们,乔安妮又嫁给了一个滑冰教练乔治·辛普森(GeorgeSimpson)。那场婚姻也没能长久,1970年她开始帯着莫娜四处流浪(她们俩现在都用的是辛普森的姓),后来到了洛杉矶。
Jobs had been reluctant to let Paul and Clara, whom he considered his real parents, know about his search for his birth mother. With a sensitivity that was unusual for him, and which showed the deep affection he felt for his parents, he worried that they might be offended. So he never contacted Joanne Simpson until after Clara Jobs died in early 1986. “I never wanted them to feel like I didn’t consider them my parents, because they were totally my parents,” he recalled. “I loved them so much that I never wanted them to know of my search, and I even had reporters keep it quiet when any of them found out.” When Clara died, he decided to tell Paul Jobs, who was perfectly comfortable and said he didn’t mind at all if Steve made contact with his biological mother.
乔布斯一直犹豫要不要让保罗和克拉拉——他心目中“真正的”父母——知道他在寻找自己的生母。他担心他们不髙兴,这种敏感对他来说实属少见,从中也可以看出他对养父母的感情之深。所以直到1986年初克拉拉·乔布斯去世,他才与乔安妮·辛普森取得联系。“我绝不希望让他们感觉我不把他们当成父母,因为他们彻头彻尾就是我的父母,”他回忆说,“我是那么爱他们,因此我不想让他们知道我在寻找生母,甚至当有记者发现真相时我也会让那些人守口如瓶。”克拉拉去世后,他决定告诉保罗·乔布斯。他父亲觉得完全可以接受,并说不介意史蒂夫跟他的生母取得联系。
So one day Jobs called Joanne Simpson, said who he was, and arranged to come down to Los Angeles to meet her. He later claimed it was mainly out of curiosity. “I believe in environment more than heredity in determining your traits, but still you have to wonder a little about your biological roots,” he said. He also wanted to reassure Joanne that what she had done was all right. “I wanted to meet my biological mother mostly to see if she was okay and to thank her, because I’m glad I didn’t end up as an abortion. She was twenty-three and she went through a lot to have me.”
这样,史蒂夫某天给乔安妮·辛普森打了电话,说了自己是谁,并安排去洛杉矶跟她见面。后来他说这主要是出于好奇心:“我相信环境比遗传对你的影响更大,但你还是会对你的血缘有点儿好奇。”他还想安慰乔安妮她当初把他送给别人领养是没问题的。“我想见我的生母,主要是为了看看她过得好不好,我还要感谢她,因为我很髙兴我没有被堕胎。她当时23岁,为了把我生下来她承受了很多。”
Joanne was overcome with emotion when Jobs arrived at her Los Angeles house. She knew he was famous and rich, but she wasn’t exactly sure why. She immediately began to pour out her emotions. She had been pressured to sign the papers putting him up for adoption, she said, and did so only when told that he was happy in the house of his new parents. She had always missed him and suffered about what she had done. She apologized over and over, even as Jobs kept reassuring her that he understood, and that things had turned out just fine.
当乔布斯来到她在洛杉矶的家时,乔安妮激动不已。她知道他很出名很富有,但她不太清楚是因为什么。她的感情顿时奔涌而出。她说她当时承受了很大压力才在他的领养文件上签字,而且她是在被告知他会在新的父母家非常幸福才签字的。她一直很想念他,并为她所做的事情感到痛苦。她反反复复地道歉,即使乔布斯一直安慰她说他能够理解,而且事情的结果还好。
