(单词翻译:单击)
《名人传记》之乔布斯亿万富豪嬉皮士
He said, I think that we'll succeed in this marketplace
他说 "我相信我们可以征服这个市场
because we're a software company,
因为我们是一家软件公司
"and everyone we're going to compete with are hardware companies."
而我们的竞争对手都是硬件公司"
I didn't realise at the time just how profound that was.
我当时并没意识到这句话的意义是多么深远
Apple's iPhone became the fastest selling handset on the market.
苹果的iPhone成为了销售速度最快的手机
People weren't buying them just to make phone calls.
人们买iPhone的目的不仅是为了打电话
Steve, I love you!
史蒂夫 我爱你!
What made the iPhone different was apps.
iPhone的出彩之处在于它的应用程序
The iPhone was the gateway to a world of downloadable software
人们可以用iPhone下载各式各样的软件
for anything from shopping to finding love, or lust, nearby.
从购物到猎艳交友 一切应有尽有
He came into the marketplace and absolutely demonstrated to people
他一进入市场 就向人们展示了应用软件的奇妙之处
how you could package up bits of the internet and present it to people
因为它们能够将互联网的各式信息打包放进手机里
in a way that was really simple and fast and digestible in the form of apps.
这个过程简单 迅速并且易懂
With apps, Apple had worked out how to open up its closed system
通过应用软件 苹果为自己封闭的系统找到了一个合适的开放度
just enough to keep earning money from its latest iPods, iPhones and iPads,
第三方应用让iPod, iPhone和iPad的盈利方式
even after you've bought them. The money keeps rolling in.
不再局限于销售本身 钱财就这么滚滚而来
For the first time ever,
史无前例地
Apple briefly topped Exxon Mobil as the world's most valuable company.
苹果暂时超越了埃克森美孚 成为世界上最有价值的公司
All the more amazing as android phones and Dell and HP computers outsell Apple.
事实上 安卓手机 戴尔和惠普电脑都比苹果的同类产品更畅销
Oddly enough, the market share of Apple is very low.
说来也奇怪 苹果的市场份额很低
It's incredibly low in computers but they make enormous profit out of it.
尤其是在电脑市场 但他们却能从中获取巨额利润
It's actually low in smartphones. It's not the leader in the world
同样 它也不是智能手机领域的世界领军品牌
by any means, yet the money they make make them the largest company on Earth.
尽管如此 它的盈利却让它成为了全球最大的公司
《乔布斯传》第十七章 伊卡洛斯 凡升起的96
Exodus
出埃及记
Andy Hertzfeld had taken a leave of absence after the Macintosh came out in 1984. He needed to recharge his batteries and get away from his supervisor, Bob Belleville, whom he didn’t like. One day he learned that Jobs had given out bonuses of up to $50,000 to engineers on the Macintosh team. So he went to Jobs to ask for one. Jobs responded that Belleville had decided not to give the bonuses to people who were on leave. Hertzfeld later heard that the decision had actually been made by Jobs, so he confronted him. At first Jobs equivocated, then he said, “Well, let’s assume what you are saying is true. How does that change things?” Hertzfeld said that if Jobs was withholding the bonus as a reason for him to come back, then he wouldn’t come back as a matter of principle. Jobs relented, but it left Hertzfeld with a bad taste.
1984年麦金塔发布后,安迪·赫茨菲尔德休了一段时间假。他需要重新充电,并远离自己的上司鲍勃·贝尔维尔。赫茨菲尔德不喜欢他。有一天,他得知乔布斯给麦金塔团队的工程师每人发放了最髙5万美元的奖金,他们团队工程师的工资此前一直没有丽萨团队的髙。于是他找到乔布斯要自己的那一份。乔布斯回复说,是贝尔维尔决定休假的人没有奖金。赫茨菲尔德后来听说这其实是乔布斯的决定,于是来找乔布斯对质。最开始,乔布斯含糊其辞,后来又说,“好吧,就算你说的是真的,又对事情有什么改变呢?”赫茨菲尔德说,如果乔布斯扣着奖金不发是为了让我回来,那么出于原则,他根本就不会回来。乔布斯态度软化了,这却给赫茨菲尔德留下了不好的印象。
When his leave was coming to an end, Hertzfeld made an appointment to have dinner with Jobs, and they walked from his office to an Italian restaurant a few blocks away. “I really want to return,” he told Jobs. “But things seem really messed up right now.” Jobs was vaguely annoyed and distracted, but Hertzfeld plunged ahead. “The software team is completely demoralized and has hardly done a thing for months, and Burrell is so frustrated that he won’t last to the end of the year.”
在休假快结束时,赫茨菲尔德与乔布斯约好共进晚餐,他们从办公室出来,走过几个街区,来到了一家意大利餐馆。“我真的想回来,”他告诉乔布斯。“但是现在情况好像真的很糟糕。”乔布斯隐约有些心烦意乱,但是赫茨菲尔德继续说下去,“软件开发团队士气彻底低落,几个月都没做出什么东西来,伯勒尔也非常沮丧,年底之前就会走人。”
At that point Jobs cut him off. “You don’t know what you’re talking about!” he said. “The Macintosh team is doing great, and I’m having the best time of my life right now. You’re just completely out of touch.” His stare was withering, but he also tried to look amused at Hertzfeld’s assessment.
这时,乔布斯打断了他。“你根本不知道自己在说什么!”他说道,“麦金塔团队现在很棒,我正在享受自己一生中最好的时光。你已经跟我们完全脱节了。”他的眼神里透露出极为挖苦的意味,但又试图表现自己是被赫茨菲尔德的评论逗乐了。
“If you really believe that, I don’t think there’s any way that I can come back,” Hertzfeld replied glumly. “The Mac team that I want to come back to doesn’t even exist anymore.”
“如果你真的这么认为,那我觉得自己肯定没法回来了。”赫茨菲尔德闷闷不乐地说,“我想要回归的那个Mac团队甚至都已经不复存在了。”
“The Mac team had to grow up, and so do you,” Jobs replied. “I want you to come back, but if you don’t want to, that’s up to you. You don’t matter as much as you think you do, anyway.”
“Mac团队必须成长,你也一样,”乔布斯回应道,“我希望你回来,但是如果你不愿意,那也随你。反正你也并非自己所想象的那样重要。”
Hertzfeld didn’t come back.
因此,赫茨菲尔德没有回来。
By early 1985 Burrell Smith was also ready to leave. He had worried that it would be hard to quit if Jobs tried to talk him out of it; the reality distortion field was usually too strong for him to resist. So he plotted with Hertzfeld how he could break free of it. “I’ve got it!” he told Hertzfeld one day. “I know the perfect way to quit that will nullify the reality distortion field. I’ll just walk into Steve’s office, pull down my pants, and urinate on his desk. What could he say to that? It’s guaranteed to work.” The betting on the Mac team was that even brave Burrell Smith would not have the gumption to do that. When he finally decided he had to make his break, around the time of Jobs’s birthday bash, he made an appointment to see Jobs. He was surprised to find Jobs smiling broadly when he walked in. “Are you gonna do it? Are you really gonna do it?” Jobs asked. He had heard about the plan.
1985年初,伯勒尔·史密斯也准备离开苹果。但他又担心,如果乔布斯试图说服他留下,那么自己就很难离开。乔布斯的现实扭曲力场太强大了,史密斯难以抗拒。于是,他同赫茨菲尔德一起商量如何冲破乔布斯的现实扭曲力场。“我想到了!”有一天,他告诉赫茨菲尔德说,“我想到了一个完美的辞职方法能抵抗他的现实扭曲力场。我会走进史蒂夫的办公室,脱掉裤子,在他的办公桌上小便。对这种事他还能说什么呢?这方法肯定能行。”而Mac团队打赌,即便再勇敢,伯勒尔·史密斯也没胆量这么做。在乔布斯生日聚会前后,他终于决定要豁出去了,他同乔布斯约好了见面。当史密斯走进乔布斯的办公室时,他惊奇地发现乔布斯笑得很开心。“你真的要那么做吗?真的要那么做吗?”乔布斯问他。他已经听说了史密斯的计划。
Smith looked at him. “Do I have to? I’ll do it if I have to.” Jobs gave him a look, and Smith decided it wasn’t necessary. So he resigned less dramatically and walked out on good terms.
史密斯看着乔布斯。“我真的有必要这么做吗?如果万不得已,我会的。”乔布斯看了他一眼,史密斯又觉得确实没必要这么做。于是,他的辞职并没有那么戏剧化,而且他离开的时候拿到了很好的条件。
He was quickly followed by another of the great Macintosh engineers, Bruce Horn. When Horn went in to say good-bye, Jobs told him, “Everything that’s wrong with the Mac is your fault.”
很快,另一位了不起的麦金塔工程师布鲁斯·霍恩也决定离开。当他跟乔布斯告别的时候,乔布斯说:“Mac的所有问题都是你的错。”
