《名人传记》之史蒂夫·乔布斯传01:一件闻所未闻的产品
日期:2014-03-27 20:16

(单词翻译:单击)

《名人传记》之史蒂夫·乔布斯传01

I'm really excited to be here.

我很开心来到这里

We have something really special to share with you today.

今天 我们将给大家展示一个非常特殊的产品


In total, between iMac and PowerBook lines,

在今年 iMac和Powerbook加起来

we have sold over three million units this year.

我们一共卖掉300多万台

Okay. That's it.

行 就这样了

Well, maybe there's one more thing.

对了 还有一件事

I'm about to show you something that's amazing.

我要给大家展示一件令人惊奇的产品

Something that no one else in the world has seen yet.

一件前所未有 闻所未闻的产品

Now, Jony, myself and a small team

现在 强尼 我 还有一小组人

have been working really hard on a secret project,

我们非常辛苦为这个秘密的项目工作着

which is something I've been known to do from time to time.

大家也知道我在忙这个项目一直在忙于此

The device I'm about to introduce to you is gonna revolutionize an entire industry.

我马上要介绍的这款产品将改变整个产业

It's a music playing device.Okay.

它是一款音乐播放设备。好吧

We'll get to that in a minute.

我们一会儿再谈细节

Because what it represents is as important as what it is.

因为我想先说 它所代表的意义和它的实际用途同样的伟大

It's a tool for the heart.

这是一个能触动心灵的工具

And when you can touch someone's heart,that's limitless.

当某样东西能触碰一个人心灵的时候,它就变得意义非凡

If I do say so myself, it's insanely cool.

我自卖自夸一下 这东西酷毙了

It's a music player.

它是一款音乐播放器

It's a thousand songs in your pocket.

也就是在你口袋里装下一千首歌

I'd like to introduce you to the iPod.

我将给你们介绍:那就是iPod

《乔布斯传》第二十二章 玩具总动员 146

  Earlier that year Jobs had been hoping to find a buyer for Pixar that would let him merely recoup the $50 million he had put in. By the end of the day the shares he had retained—80% of the company—were worth more than twenty times that, an astonishing $1.2 billion. That was about five times what he’d made when Apple went public in 1980. But Jobs told John Markoff of the New York Times that the money did not mean much to him. “There’s no yacht in my future,” he said. “I’ve never done this for the money.”

   那年早些时候,乔布斯还曾经希望把皮克斯卖掉,收回他投资的5000万美元。而股票公开发行第一天结束时,他持有的公司80%的股票价值就已经涨到原来的20多倍,达到惊人的12亿美元。那相当于1980年苹果上市时他获得收益的5倍。但是乔布斯吿诉《纽约时报》的约翰·马尔科夫(JohnMarkoff),钱对他来说意义不大。“我的未来不需要游艇,”他说,“我做这个从来都不是为了钱。” 

  The successful IPO meant that Pixar would no longer have to be dependent on Disney to finance its movies. That was just the leverage Jobs wanted. “Because we could now fund half the cost of our movies, I could demand half the profits,” he recalled. “But more important, I wanted co-branding. These were to be Pixar as well as Disney movies.”

   IPO的成功意味着皮克斯不再需要依靠迪士尼的资助才能完成电影。这正是乔布斯想要的砝

。“因为我们现在可以承担电影一半的成本了,我就可以要求一半的利润,”他回忆说,“但更重要的是,我想要品牌联合。这些电影将既是皮克斯的,也是迪士尼的。

  Jobs flew down to have lunch with Eisner, who was stunned at his audacity. They had a three-picture deal, and Pixar had made only one. Each side had its own nuclear weapons. After an acrimonious split with Eisner, Katzenberg had left Disney and become a cofounder, with Steven Spielberg and David

Geffen, of DreamWorks SKG. If Eisner didn’t agree to a new deal with Pixar, Jobs s

aid, then Pixar would go to another studio, such as Katzenberg’s, once the three-picture deal was done. In Eisner’s hand was the threat that Disney could, if that happened, make its own sequel

s to Toy Story, using Woody and Buzz and all of the characters that Lasseter had created. “That would have been like molesting our children,” Jobs later recalled. “John started crying when he considered that possibility.”

   乔布斯飞去跟艾斯纳共进午餐,艾斯纳被他的大胆惊呆了。他们之前签的是三部电影的合同,皮克斯刚刚制作了一部。双方都有自己的撖手锏。当时,卡曾伯格在跟艾斯纳决裂后已经离开了迪士尼,斯蒂芬·斯皮尔伯格(StevenSpielberg)和戴维·格芬(DavidGeffen)—起创立了梦工厂(DreamWorksSKG)。乔布斯说,如果艾斯纳不

同意跟皮克斯重签合同,一旦原定的三部影片完成,皮克斯就会去跟另一家电影公司合作,比如卡曾伯格的新公司。而艾斯纳手里的砝码则是,一旦那样,迪士尼就会自己制作《玩具总动员》的续集,使用胡迪、巴斯以及所有拉塞特创造的角色。“那就像是要猥亵我们的孩子,”乔布斯后来回忆说,“约翰一想到那种可能性就哭了。”

分享到
重点单词
  • yachtn. 游艇,快艇 vi. 驾快艇
  • splitn. 劈开,裂片,裂口 adj. 分散的 v. 分离,分
  • merelyadv. 仅仅,只不过
  • acrimoniousadj. 尖刻的
  • leveragen. 杠杆(作用,力量),举债经营 v. (使)举债经营
  • devicen. 装置,设计,策略,设备
  • audacityn. 大胆,厚颜
  • threatn. 威胁,凶兆 vt. 威胁, 恐吓
  • dependentadj. 依靠的,依赖的,从属的 n. 受援助者
  • astonishingadj. 惊人的 动词astonish的现在分词