(单词翻译:单击)
中英文本
Consider the times you've hopped on a subway, boarded a plane or entered a waiting room.
想象一下你有多少次跳进地铁,登上过飞机或进入等候室 。
Chances are, you probably avoided engaging with any fellow commuters or patients.
很有可能,你要避免与任何通勤者或病人接触 。
But contrary to what we might think, we'd be happier if we did strike up a conversation with a total stranger.
但与我们想象相反的是,如果与一位陌生人侃侃而谈的话,我们可能会因此感到快乐 。
In a study, commuters in Chicago were asked to either talk with a stranger on a train, or sit quietly alone, or just do whatever they'd normally do on their commute.
在一项研究中,芝加哥的通勤者们被要求要么在火车上和一位陌生人交谈,要么独自一人静静闲坐,要么干脆他们就像往常一样表现 。
Then, they responded to a survey about how they felt.
而后他们表达了自己对于这项调查的感受 。
Turns out those who engaged with strangers had the most pleasurable experience and those who remained solitary had the least enjoyable experience.
结果显示那些与陌生人谈话的人最愉快而那些依然孤独的人则最不高兴 。
These answers were compared with another group that did not participate but instead had to predict how they might feel in each situation.
这些调查结果与另一组并没有参与其中,只是预测对于每一种情况反应的人进行相比 。
This group thought talking with strangers would be the least enjoyable, by far.
到目前为止这组人认为和陌生人交谈是最愉快的 。
The study is the journal of Experimental Psychology.
这项研究已经在《实验心理学杂志》上发表 。
So despite being social animals and enjoying social engagement, we avoid chatting with strangers.
所以尽管我们自认为是社会动物,以享受社会接触自居,但仍然尽可能避免与陌生人谈话 。
Why? Well, according to a follow up study it's because we think, wrongly, that strangers don't want to talk with us.
原因何在?嗯,根据一项后续研究显示因为我们错误地认为,陌生人不想和我们谈话 。
The one way to get over this is to practice reaching out-who knows, commuting could become more enjoyable.
解决这个问题的方法之一就是亲身实践—结果谁知道呢,交流沟通或许会更愉快 。
词语解释
1.strike up 使开始;建立起
The band struck up the wedding march.
乐队开始演奏婚礼进行曲 。
He struck up an acquaintance with a girl when he was 18.
他18岁时开始结交女孩子 。
2.ask to 邀请...参加...
She asked us to the dancing party.
她邀请我们参加舞会 。
I was asked to a wedding party.
我被邀请参加婚礼 。
3.respond to 响应
He will respond to that, not me.
他将会为此事做出反应,我不会 。
So how do the different skill levels respond to a model like this?
那么不同的技能水平又如何回应到这样的模型上呢?
4.compare with 与…相比较
How does your bike compare with mine?
你的自行车怎么能和我的自行车相比呢?
How do they compare with our alternatives?
它们和我们的选择如何比较?