(单词翻译:单击)
中英文本
Nervous before a big interview?
面试前会非常紧张吧?
Or a major exam or speech?
或者考试,演讲之前也是这样?
Well, whatever you do, don't calm down.
恩,不论你做什么,都冷静不下来 。
Because new research finds that people who try to relax away their performance anxiety actually mess up more than folks who just give in to the excitement.
因为一项新的研究显示,想要在正事之前放松紧张情绪的人实际上比那些硬着头皮的人更容易把事情搞砸 。
The study is in the Journal of Experimental Psychology.
这项研究已在《实验心理学》杂志上发表 。
We all grapple with nerves when we face some test of our abilities.
我们在接受考验的时候,神经都是紧绷着的 。
To find out how the impulse to banish the butterflies works out, Allison Wood Brooks of the Harvard Business School turned to karaoke.
为了找出一时冲动的念头如何搞定心中的不安因素,哈佛商学院的阿里森伍德布洛克斯对卡拉OK进行了研究 。
She asked subjects to state that they felt either anxious, excited or calm before launching into song, regardless of how they actually felt.
她安排参加研究的实验对象们肯定的表示他们在开始唱之前的个人感觉,是渴望,是兴奋,抑或是冷静,不管实际的感觉 。
The result:the people who said they were excited received the highest marks for their musical prowess on the karaoke console.
结果显示:唱歌之前表示自己很兴奋的人最后得到的评分最高 。
The same thing happened when participants read a note that said “try to get excited” before solving some tough math problems.
同样的事也发生在参与者在需要解答一些较难数学考题之前阅读“试着兴奋起来”的纸条之后 。
Their scores were almost 10 percent higher than those whose instructions were “try to remain calm.”
他们的解题得分也比那些被教导要“尽量保持冷静”的人高10% 。
It could be that when we attempt to suppress the jitters, we focus on what could go wrong.
事实可能是当我们尝试压制内心的紧张不安时,我们常常会走向错误的方向 。
But by spinning the anxiety into enthusiasm, we dive in with both feet.
但如果化压力为动力,我们就会以正常状态发挥 。
And are less likely to stumble.
那自然不会有太多磕磕绊绊喽 。
词语解释
1.calm down 平静,镇静,安静
Britain recommends that everyone calm down a bit.
英国建议大家都冷静些 。
I'd better calm down a little.
我还是冷静一点比较好 。
2.mess up 弄乱,弄糟;搞乱
Mess up your data: we live in a messy world.
打乱数据,推倒重来:我们住在一个混乱的世界 。
And when they mess up, you're the one who suffers.
当他们把事情搞砸,受害的就是大家了 。
3.turn to 变成;求助于
For evidence that this is possible, turn to sweden.
至于这方面成功的案例,请把目光转向瑞典 。
You have to turn to relative valuations to make shares look cheap.
若要使股价看起来便宜,你就不得不求助于相对估值法了 。
4.regardless of 不管,不顾
The future is now with respect to bitcoin, regardless of marijuana or any business.
无论是大麻还是其他行业,未来都系于比特币一身 。
We will fight, regardless of the cost.
我们会战斗到底,不管代价有多大 。