(单词翻译:单击)
听力文本
In 1996, when I was 18 years old, I had the golden opportunity to go on an international exchange program.
1996年时,我18岁,我获得了一个国际交换项目的宝贵机会。
Ironically I'm an Australian who prefers proper icy cold weather,
但是,我是一个更喜欢“适当”寒冷天气的澳大利亚人,
so I was both excited and tearful when I got on a plane to Iceland, after just having farewelled my parents and brothers goodbye.
在我告别父母和兄弟们,登上去冰岛的飞机时,既激动,也有些伤心。
I was welcomed into the home of a beautiful Icelandic family who took me hiking,
我受到了一个非常友好的冰岛家庭的欢迎,他们带着我徒步旅行,
and helped me get a grasp of the melodic Icelandic language.
帮助我了解音调优美的冰岛语。
I struggled a bit with the initial period of homesickness.
起初,对家乡的思念让我有些挣扎。
I snowboarded after school, and I slept a lot.
我放学后去滑雪,也睡得很多。
Two hours of chemistry class in a language that you don't yet fully understand can be a pretty good sedative.
用一门你还没能完全理解的语言,进行两小时的化学课,可以是一剂不错的“镇定剂”。
My teacher recommended I try out for the school play, just to get me a bit more socially active.
我的老师建议,我尝试一下学校的戏剧活动,让我能在社交上更加积极一些。
It turns out I didn't end up being part of the play, but through it I met Thordis.
结果,我并未成功入选,但却遇见了Thordis。
We shared a lovely teenage romance, and we'd meet at lunchtimes to just hold hands and walk around old downtown Reykjavík.
我们情窦初开,我们午餐时见面,只是为了牵个手,在雷克雅未克的旧城中散步。
I met her welcoming family, and she met my friends.
我见过了她热情的家人,她也见过了我的朋友们。
We'd been in a budding relationship for a bit over a month when our school's Christmas Ball was held.
直到学校的圣诞舞会,我们萌芽中的关系,才进行了一个月多一点时间。
演讲介绍
20年前,他们是一对恋人,当一切看似美好、令人艳羡时,在一次学校舞会后,他竟然强奸了她... 20年后,他们来到TED演讲台坦诚面对过去,讲述这20年来彼此走过的一段漫长的救赎之路。