(单词翻译:单击)
对话文本
L: get up as early as six o'clock only to be jammed at every crossroad and still late for work. What a life! I've had enough of it.
J: cool down, man. Everyone is fed up with the rush-hour traffic. But life isn't really all that. You should take the initiative and make some changes first.
L: what should I do then?
J: I recommend you ride a bike instead of commuting by bus. It may offer you many beneits. First, it's good for your health. I'm afraid it's not necessary for me to further elaborate. While lots of people spend time like an hour each morning exercising, a bike ride to work not only builds you up, but also makes full use of time. You might as well sleep for an hour longer.
L: I know cycling is always a more favorable choice than a bus. After all, it's a sport. But do you think it a pleasant experience to take in the dirty, pollued air on the road?
J: well, such things are just unavoidable in a great metropolis like Beijing. I think a still more desirable benefit is psychological. Bicycling home after work can help release your stress. Life in the offices is miserable. You just sit there in a daze, gazing at the monitor and dealing with files and documents. Why don't you give full play to your energy after work? Enjoy the speed on the road. Just think, you are falshing past the poles with your own energy. How great!
参考翻译
6点钟就起床,上了车却一到路口就要堵车,以至于上班迟到.这样的日子真是让人受够了.
消消气,哥们.谁不烦堵车呢,可是日子不完全象你说的那样,你可以主动地改变生活.
我该怎么做呢?
我建议你还是骑车上班吧,这对你大有裨益.首先是健康,这我不必多说啦.许多人早上专门抽出一小时锻炼,如果骑车上班的话,既锻炼到了,还能省下这点时间,这样你就可以多睡一个小时.
我知道,骑车总比坐车强.怎么说,它也是项运动嘛.但是在路上呼吸进脏兮兮,受污染的空气,这恐怕也不太好吧.
哎,这些情况在北京这样的大都市是无法避免的.我觉得骑车还有一大好处—心理方面的.下班后骑车回家,可以释放你的压力.办公室的工作太痛苦了,成天迷迷糊糊地坐在那里,盯着屏幕看,处理文档文件.下班后不妨好好释放一下你的能量,享受享受速度.想想看,电线杆子一根接着一根地飞过,这都是你发挥自己能量的结果.多棒的感觉啊!
核心词汇
Jam: to become unable to move or work; to make something do this (使)卡住,不能动弹,不能运转 ~ (sth) (up)
The photocopier keeps jamming up. 这复印机总是卡纸。 V
There's a loose part that keeps jamming the mechanism. 有个零件松了经常卡住机器。 VN
The valve has jammed shut. 阀门给卡住了打不开。 V-ADJ
He jammed the door open with a piece of wood. 他用一块木头卡住门让它开着。
Initiative: the power or opportunity to act and gain an advantage before other people do 掌握有利条件的能力(或机会);主动权 singular
to seize/lose the initiative 掌握╱丧失先机
It was up to the US to take the initiative in repairing relations. 在修复关系方面应由美国采取主动。
Commute: to travel regularly by bus, train, car, etc. between your place of work and your home (乘公共汽车、火车、汽车等)上下班往返,经常往返(于两地) V
She commutes from Oxford to London every day. 她每天上下班往返于牛津与伦敦之间。
He spent that year commuting between New York and Chicago. 那年他穿梭来往于纽约与芝加哥之间。
I live within commuting distance of Dublin. 我住在离都柏林上下班可乘公交车往返的地方。
People are prepared to commute long distances if they are desperate for work. 亟需得到工作的人会愿意长途乘车往返上下班。 VN
Elaborate: to explain or describe something in a more detailed way 详尽阐述;详细描述 ~ (on/upon sth)
He said he was resigning but did not elaborate on his reasons. 他说他准备辞职但未详细说明原因。 V
She went on to elaborate her argument. 她进而详尽阐述了她的论点。
Metropolis: a large important city (often the capital city of a country or region) 大都会;大城市;首都;首府
核心词组
fed up: bored or unhappy, especially with a situation that has continued for too long 厌烦;厌倦;不愉快
You look fed up. What's the matter? 你满脸不高兴的样子.怎么啦?
I'm fed up with waiting for her. 我等她等烦了.
People are fed up with all these traffic jams. 人们厌烦这么多的交通堵塞.
In the end, I just got fed up with his constant complaining. 他不停地发牢骚,终于使我厌烦.
I wish he'd get a job. I'm fed up with it(= with the situation). 但愿他能找到工作.这样下去我都烦死了.
build somebody/yourself↔up: to make somebody/yourself healthier or stronger 增强...的体质;使更加强壮
You need more protein to build you up. 你得多吃蛋白质以增强体质.
in a daze: in a confused state 迷茫;茫然;恍惚
I've been in a complete daze since hearing the news. 自从听到那消息,我一直茫然不知所措.