(单词翻译:单击)
What's even more frightening to men than "We need to talk?" How about: "I want you to meet my parents."
对于男人来说,没有什么比听到“我们需要谈一谈”更可怕的了 。那么,如果女友说“我想让你见见我的父母”呢?
You Will Need
你需要
A shower, a shave, and a haircut
淋浴,剃须,剪发
A firm handshake
有力地握手
And a hostess gift
礼物
Step 1: Find out about them
1.了解他们
Find out as much as you can about her parents. Are they ultra-conservative? Aging hippies? Avid travelers? Obsessed golfers?
尽可能了解女友父母的信息 。他们过于保守吗?还是上了年纪的嬉皮士?是热心的旅行者还是痴迷高尔夫?
Knowing a bit about them will help you decide how to dress and which way to steer the conversation.
了解关于他们的一些信息会帮你决定如何打扮自己以及用什么方式来把握对话 。
Step 2: Get haircut and clean nails
2.理发并修剪指甲
Get a haircut—even if it’s just a trim—and clean your fingernails. This tells her parents that you think enough of their daughter to make an effort.
理个发——即使只是修饰一下——修剪指甲 。这会让女友的父母知道你很看重他们的女儿而且为之奋斗 。
Step 3: Ask girlfriend what to wear
3.询问女友穿什么衣服
Ask your girlfriend’s advice on what you should wear—and then take it. If you have any doubt, go for pants and a button-down or collared shirt.
征求女友的意见你应该穿什么——并且照做 。如果你拿不定主意,穿长裤和有衣领扣的衬衫或是有领衬衫 。
Step 4: Bring a gift
4.带份礼物
Bring a gift. A bouquet of flowers or a bottle of wine are usually appropriate.
带份礼物 。带一束鲜花或是一瓶酒通常都是合适的 。
If you bring flowers, include an inexpensive vase so your hosts don’t have to scramble around for one.
如果你买鲜花,要记得带一个不贵的花瓶,以免主人四处寻找花瓶 。
Step 5: Introduce yourself
5.自我介绍
When you’re introduced, smile, look her parents directly in the eyes, and extend your hand. Nothing says “I can take care of your daughter” better than a firm handshake.
女友为你介绍时,要微笑并直视她的父母,并主动伸手去握手 。什么也比上有力的握手更能说明“我能照顾好你的女儿” 。
Step 6: Ask lots of questions
6.多问问题
Ask lots of questions; people love to talk about themselves.Score extra points by asking what your girlfriend was like as a child.
多问问题:人们喜欢谈论自己 。询问女友小时候是什么样的也可以为你额外加分 。
Step 7: Use etiquette
7.注重礼节
Remember those little etiquette rules your mom used to nag you about? Use them! Hold doors open, pull out the ladies’ chairs, and stand up anytime a woman enters or leaves the room.
记得你妈妈经常告诉你的那些细微的礼节吗?一定要照做 。为他人开门,为女士拖椅子,当有女士进入或离开时要站起来 。
Step 8: Be prepared
8.准备充分
Be prepared to answer lots of probing questions about your background and life goals. Grin and bear it.
准备好回答关于你的背景和生活目标等许多探究性的问题 。要微笑并容忍 。
Step 9: Say thank you
9.感谢
When you leave, thank her parents for the evening. Single out something to make it sound sincere, such as, “Thanks so much for dinner. That pot roast was really delicious.”
当你离开时,要感谢女友父母对你的款待 。特别指出某个细节,让你的话听起来更加诚恳,比如:“多谢你们的晚餐 。炖肉非常美味 。”
A survey of single people found that 42% of them wait six months or more before bringing a significant other home.
对单身人士进行的一项调查发现,42%的人会等待六个月或更长时间才把情侣带回家 。