TED演讲(视频+MP3+双语字幕):我们如何研究生活在肠道中的微生物(2)
日期:2018-10-30 09:44

(单词翻译:单击)

听力文本

My lab got our first indication of this when actually we were studying non-human primates.
我的实验室在研究非人类--灵长类动物时,第一次发现了这个征兆。
We wanted to find out what happens to a monkey's microbiome when they move from the jungle to a zoo.
我们想了解当猴子由丛林搬到动物园后,它们体内的微生物群会发生什么变化。
Does their microbiome change? Do they pick up new bugs?
它们体内的微生物群改变了吗?是否增加了新微生物?
Do they lose some? Does it get better or worse?
失去一些微生物吗?微生物群是在变好,还是变糟呢?
We tracked two different species in the jungle, one in Vietnam, one in Costa Rica, and then we sequenced the DNA from their stool.
我们分别对丛林中(生活的)两个不同物种进行了追踪研究,一个物种在越南,一个在哥斯达黎加,我们用它们的粪便进行了DNA测序。
This is how we study the microbiome in my research lab.
这就是我们实验室对微生物进行研究的方法。
And what we found in the DNA is that in the wild, these two species had totally different sets of microbes.
通过DNA比对,我们发现野外的这两个物种体内,微生物群截然不同。
It was like a fingerprint for the species.
微生物群就像物种的指纹一样。

我们如何研究生活在肠道中的微生物

But in the zoo, they had lost most of that diversity and had acquired some other set of microbes.
但在动物园里,它们的微生物群却失去了大部分的多样性,并获得了一些其它的微生物。
So this was very curious. We've got these two different microbiomes.
这种现象非常奇怪。我们有两个不同的微生物群。
In the wild, picture a lush tropical rainforest living the guts of these monkeys.
野外动物体内的微生物群,它就像郁郁葱葱的热带雨林活在这些猴子的肠道内。
That's the kind of diversity that we're talking about.
也就是我们说的多样性。
Then in the zoo, they've lost diversity.
然而在动物园里,微生物群却失去了多样性。
Picture a rainforest that's been burned to the ground and taken over by a few invasive species.
就好像一些入侵物种接管了烧光的雨林。
That's more like the microbiome in a captive primate.
因此它们更像圈养灵长类动物体内的微生物群。
Now, in the meantime, many of the animals in the zoo are not doing so well.
与此同时,在动物园里,许多动物身体状况都不太好。
They have issues with obesity, wasting, gastroenteritis, diarrhea, bloating, and some of them were barely holding onto their lives.
它们有肥胖、消瘦、肠胃炎、腹泻、腹胀等问题,有些动物几乎活不下去了。

演讲介绍

在你的肠道中大约有100万亿个微生物——它们保护你免受感染,帮助消化和调节你的免疫系统。随着我们的身体适应现代社会的生活,我们开始失去一些正常的微生物;与此同时,与微生物群落多样性丧失有关的疾病在发达国家迅速增加。计算微生物学家Dan Knights分享了一些有趣的发现,这些发现是关于发展中国家人和美国人的微生物群落的差异,以及它们可能如何影响我们的健康。了解更多关于生活在你体内的微生物的世界——以及正在进行的创造工具来恢复和补充它们的工作。


分享到
重点单词
  • speciesn. (单复同)物种,种类
  • primaten. 灵长目动物 n. (常大写)首席主教 n. 首领
  • obesityn. 肥胖,肥大
  • diversityn. 差异,多样性,分集
  • invasiveadj. 侵略性的;攻击性的
  • fingerprintn. 指纹,特点 vt. 取 ... 的指纹,鉴别特征
  • lushadj. 苍翠繁茂的,多青草的,丰富的 n. 酒,酒鬼
  • tropicaladj. 热带的,炎热的,热带植物的
  • indicationn. 表示,指示,象征
  • curiousadj. 好奇的,奇特的