高级英语第一册(MP3+中英字幕) 第12课:外婆的日用家当(10)
日期:2016-05-18 16:36

(单词翻译:单击)

Asalamalakim had a name twice as long and three times as hard.
阿萨拉马拉吉姆的名字有两倍那么长,三倍那么难念。
After I tripped over it two or three times he told me to just call him Hakim-a-barber.
我试着念了两三次都念错了,于是他就叫我干脆称呼他哈吉姆阿巴波就行了。
I wanted to ask him was he a barber, but I didn't really think he was, so I don't ask.
我本想问他究竟是不是开巴波(理发)店的,但我觉得他不像是个理发师,所以就没有问。
You must belong to those beet-cattle peoples down the road, I said.
“你一定属于马路那边的那些养牛部族,”我说。
They said Asalamalakirn when they met you too, but they didn't Shake hands.
那些人见人打招呼也是说“阿萨拉马拉吉姆”,但他们不同人握手。
Always too busy feeding the cattle, fixing the fences, putting up salt-lick shelters, throwing down hay.
他们总是忙忙碌碌的:喂牲口,修篱笆,扎帐篷,堆草料,等等。
When the white folks poisoned some of the herd the men stayed up all night with rifles in their hands.
当白人毒死了一些牛以后,那些人便彻夜不眠地端着枪戒备。
I walked a mile and a half just to see the sight.
为了一睹这种情景,我走了一英里半的路程。
Hakim-a-barber said, I accept some of their doctrines, but farming and raising cattle is not my style.
哈吉姆阿巴波说,“我接受他们的一些观念,但种田和养牛却不是我干的事业。”
(They didn't tell me, and I didn't ask, whether Wangero (Dee) had really gone and married him.)
(他们没有告诉我,我也没开口去问,万杰萝(迪伊)究竟是不是同他结婚了。)
We sat down to eat and right away he said he didn't eat collards and pork was unclean.
我们开始坐下吃饭,他马上声明他不吃羽衣甘蓝,猪肉也不干净。
Wangero, though, went on through the chitlins and corn bread, the greens and every-thing else.
万杰萝却是猪肠、玉米面包、蔬菜,什么都吃。
She talked a blue streak over the sweet potatoes.
吃红薯时她更是谈笑风生。
Everything delighted her. Even the fact that we still used the benches her daddy made for the table when we couldn't afford to buy chairs.
一切都令她高兴,就连我们仍在使用着当初她爸爸因为买不起椅子而做的条凳这种事情也令她感兴趣。
Oh, Mama! she cried. Then turned to Hakim-a-barber.
“啊,妈妈!”她惊叫道。接着转头向着哈吉姆阿巴波。
I never knew how lovely these benches are.
“我以前还从来不知道这些条凳有这么可爱,
You can feel the rump prints, she said, running her hands underneath her and along the bench.
在上面还摸得出屁股印迹来,”她一边说着,一边将手伸到屁股下面去摸凳子。

分享到