胡敏读故事记托福单词 第224期:No Trivial Triumph 非同小可的成功
日期:2016-11-22 11:53

(单词翻译:单击)

224.No Trivial Triumph
第224课 非同小可的成功

My triumph in English class was no trivial matter.
我在英语课程方面的成功非同小可。
I trudged to class everyday, even in the most trying of times, over the tundra that marks the winter here.
每天我走过这里冬天常见的冻原,步履艰难地去上课,即使在最为难捱的时期。
I had a turbulent time coming up with the tuition for the class as well,
我也经历了凑学费的艰辛,
once working as a collector of firewood and twigs to place in the fireplaces of rich families.
曾经拾木柴和细树枝供富家的火炉生火。
But once it began, I put all that turmoil behind me,
而一旦开始,我把困苦统统置于脑后,
forgetting all that was troublesome in my life so that I could concentrate on learning English.
忘掉生活中的一切烦恼,全心专注于英语的学习。
I attended extra tutorials and even hired a private tutor.
我参加额外的辅导,甚至雇了一位私人教师。
The trumpet sounded in the morning, and I tried my best to trot to class with a happy look on my face.
早晨当号角响起,我竭尽力气,一路小跑去上课,脸上带着一副高兴的神情。
Sometimes an overwhelming feeling of failure tugged at me, however.
但是,有时一种令人窒息的失败感在拖我后腿。
I would tumble into a theater and enjoy the entertaining machinations of an acting troupe.
我会闯入剧院去欣赏演出剧团所表演的引入入胜的阴谋诡计。
This usually made me feel better.
这样通常使我感觉好些。
Whenever I felt myself getting bored with English,
每当我发觉自己对英语感到厌烦的时候,
I would try to twine my interest in language with my interest in philosophy.
我就会把自己对语言的兴趣与对哲学的兴趣相互结合。
I would seek out translations of Chinese philosophy books that I had already read in my native language.
我会找出我曾用母语读过的中国哲学书籍的译文。
I would take a taxi down the turnpike and buy some books at a famous bookshop.
我会在公路上打的,去一家有名的书店买些书籍。
On one occasion, I bought a turquoise colored reading lamp at a gift shop next to the bookstore. I still have it.
有一次,我在书店旁边一家礼品店买了一盏碧绿色的阅读用台灯。我现在还在用。
Tackling a foreign language is no easy task. I am truculent by nature.
学一门外语绝非易事。我生性争强好胜。
When I found myself getting angry at something I did not understand, I would tightly squeeze a tube of toothpaste.
当我发现自己对不懂的东西生气的时候,我就使劲挤牙膏管;
It also helped to sit in the tub and take a long, hot bath.
坐在浴缸里,洗个长时间的热水澡也管用。
Well, in the end, all the hard work paid off. I have my trustworthy teachers to thank.
好啦,最后,所有的辛苦都有了好结果。我得感谢我那些值得信赖的老师。
Tomorrow, visa in hand, I am heading off for the tropical sun of southern California.
明天,我将手握签证,动身前往南加州的灸热地区。

分享到