胡敏读故事记托福单词 第78期:The Life of a Playwright 一个剧作家的生活
日期:2012-10-15 13:24

(单词翻译:单击)

中英文本

The Life of a Playwright
一个剧作家的生活
“She's such a doting mother,” I thought, looking at the woman and her newborn passing me by in the park.
“她是个很溺爱孩子的母亲,”看着她和她刚出生不久的小宝宝从我眼前经过,我这样想着。
I was feeling a bit doubtful about my ability to write a drama in less than a week.
我置身公园,现在开始怀疑我是否能在一周内写出一个戏剧来。
I didn't even have a draft.
我到现在甚至连个草稿都没有。
I was desperate for fresh ideas.
我渴望能扑捉到新的灵感,
That is why I'm sitting here in this downtown park.
所以才会坐在这市区的公园里。
As they often say, “desperate times call for drastic measures.”
就像人们常说的:“危急时刻需要采取断然措施。”
I scanned the area around me for ideas.
于是,我扫视周围,寻找我的灵感。
What about that downcast man on the park bench?
坐在公园长登上的那个一脸沮丧的男人怎么样?
He looks so downhearted.
他看上去那么无精打采,
Could there be an interesting story behind his sad eyes?
悲伤的眼神后面会有什么动人的故事吗?
No, I'd better not bother him.
不行,我最好别去烦他,
It looks like he hasn't slept for days.
他看上去已经好几天没睡觉了。
Perhaps I can write a story about the life of that draft animal.
也许我可以写一篇关于耕畜的生活故事。
No, that would be rather dreary.
不,那会很乏味。
All he does is drag things around.
它所做的无非是拖着东西过来过去。
I need a more dramatic subject.
我要找一个更具戏剧性的主题。
Could that dragonfly flying above that drain be the answer to my prayers?
那只在排水沟上空飞着的蜻蜓能作为我祈求的答案吗?
It is a good thing that this park has excellent drainage.
这个公园的排水系统很好是件好事。
Oh, no, the drain just swallowed him.
哦,不,排水沟刚刚把蜻蜓吞没了。
“Did he suffer from a dread of drain?” I murmured in disgust.
“他会害怕排水沟吧?”我厌恶地小声嘟囔着。
“This is a dreadful situation,” I said dramatically.
“情况糟透了。”我戏剧般夸张地说。
Writing plays for a living was drastically different from writing them in school.
为了谋生写剧本与上学时写剧本截然不同。
Maybe I should try drawing pictures for a living?
也许我该尝试画画谋生?
No, I was sure that would not be the situation.
不行,我确信那也解决不了问题,
It probably would have just as many drawbacks.
可能会遇到同样多的障碍。
So, what I am going to do?
那我该做什么?
I felt dispirited.
我感到灰心丧气。
Then suddenly, it came to me.
过了一会,忽然,灵感来了。
“I've got it!” I exclaimed.
“我找到了。”我大声喊起来。
“I just dramatize the life of a playwright!”
“我要把一个剧作家的生活编成剧本。”
词语解释

doting adj. 溺爱的

doubtful adj. 可疑的,疑心的

downcast adj. 意志消沉的,沮丧的

downhearted adj. 情绪低落的,无精打采的

downtown adj. 在市区的,往市区的

draft n. 草图,草稿;vt. 起草

draft animal (horse) 役用动物,耕畜

drag vt. 拖动

dragonfly n. 蜻蜓

drain v. (使)流走,(使)排光;n. 排水沟;排水,消耗

drainage n. 排水,排出物;排水系统

drama n. 戏剧

dramatic adj. 戏剧性的,生动的

dramatically adv. 戏剧性地;引人注目的

dramatize vt. 改编成为戏剧,编写剧本

drastic adj. 激烈的,迅猛的

drastically adv. 大大地

draw vt. 吸引;画,描绘

drawback n. 弊端,缺点,障碍

dread n. 畏惧,恐怖

dreadful adj. 可怜的;(口)糟透了

分享到
重点单词
  • drearyadj. 沉闷的,令人沮丧的,情绪低落的
  • draftn. 草稿,草图,汇票,徵兵 vt. 起草,征兵,选秀
  • doubtfuladj. 可疑的,疑心的,不确定的
  • dramaticadj. 戏剧性的,引人注目的,给人深刻印象的 dram
  • drainagev. 排水 n. 排水系统,污水
  • disgustn. 厌恶,嫌恶 v. 令人厌恶
  • downcastadj. 气馁的,悲哀的,垂下的
  • botherv. 使恼怒,使不安,烦扰,费心 n. 烦扰,麻烦,焦急
  • dramatizevt. 把(小说等)改编成戏剧,渲染 vi. 戏剧化
  • benchn. 长凳,工作台,法官席 vt. 坐(在长凳上)