胡敏读故事记托福单词 第92期:The Talkative Stranger 健谈的陌生人
日期:2012-11-05 12:04

(单词翻译:单击)

中英文本

The Talkative Stranger
健谈的陌生人
“This is a very interesting exposition,” Fred said.
“这是个有意义的博览会。”弗雷德说,
“I love the exhibition building.
“我喜欢这个会展大楼,
It's one of the finest extant examples of classical architecture.
它是现存最杰出的古典建筑之一。
I especially enjoyed the extemporaneous speech we just heard.
我尤其欣赏我们刚刚听过的即席演讲。
May I ask what you do for a living?” Fred asked the three men.
请问你们是做什么的?”弗雷德问另外三个人。
“My job is to prevent the exploitation of animals, ” replied Roland.
“我的工作是防止动物被不正当利用,”罗兰回答,
“Specifically, I write newspaper articles about research laboratories that exploit animals for medical experiments.
“说得具体些,就是为报社写些文章揭露那些用不正当手段利用动物来做医学实验的研究实验室。
These types of businesses hate public exposure.
这类机构怕公开曝光。
I hope to exterminate them with my storied.”
我希望借助我的文章能除掉他们。”
“I operate an express business,” Terry said.
“我经营特快专递业务,”特里说,
“We deliver overnight parcels.
“我们负责投递夜间的包裹,
It's like an extension of the post office.
像是邮局业务的延伸。
Currently, I'm trying to extend my business overseas.”
目前,我正努力把业务拓展到海外。”
“On the exterior, I probably look like an athlete,” Ben said.
“从外表看,我也许像个运动员。”本说,
“However, I'm a professor of mathematics.
“可我是数学教授。
I'm writing a book about trigonometric and exponential functions.
我在写一本关于三角和指数功能的书。
It's written expressly for post-graduate students. What do you do?”
他们是专门为研究生写的。你是做什么的呢?”
“I'm involved in mineral exploration,” Fred said.
“我从事矿物勘探工作。”弗雷德说,
“I just love the exquisite shapes and colors of previous stones.
“我非常喜欢那些珍奇石头的优美外形和色彩。
I also specialize in the use of explosives.”
我还专门学过如何使用炸药。”
Fred had an extensive background in geology.
弗雷德有广泛的地质学背景知识。
He had already explored for minerals in several different countries.
他曾去过好几个国家勘探矿藏。
He was an expressive man.
他富于表现力。
He enjoyed nothing more than expounding his theories and experiences to anyone who was unfortunate enough to be caught in a conversation with him.
如果你不幸得很,被他缠住,与他交谈起来,他会详细地跟你解释他的理论和经历,而没有什么比这更令他高兴了。
After ten minutes of listening to Fred talk. the three men were bored to death.
听弗雷德说了十分钟后,这三个人烦的要死了。
Finally, Roland spoke, “Please excuse us, we have to leave. We have an important matter to attend.”
终于,罗兰开口了:“请原谅,我们必须要走了。我们还有意见重要的事情要做。”
“I haven't finished telling my tale,” Fred replied.
“我还没讲完我的故事,”弗雷德回答,
“What could possibly be so important as to extenuate your hasty departure in the middle of my story?”
“有什么事情如此重要竟成为你们中途匆匆离开的借口呢?”
The three men smiled and quickly responded in unison, “We have to go to the toilet.”
三个人笑了笑,然后很快的齐声答道:“我们必须去厕所。”
词语解释

exploit vt. 开拓;开采,开发;(出自于私自目的而)利用,剥削

exploitation n. 开发,开采;(出自于私自目的或用不正当手段)利用,剥削

exploration n. 勘察;探究

explore vt. 探险,勘探;仔细检查,探究

explosive adj. 爆炸的,易爆发的;n. 炸药

exponential adj. 指数的

exposition n. 博览会,展览会

exposure n. 暴露,曝光

expound v. 解释,详细说明

express business 特快专递业务

expressive adj. 有表现力的,富有表情的

expressly adv. 特意地,专门

exquisite adj. 优美的,高雅的

extant adj. 现存的

extemporaneous adj. 即席的,无准备的

extent v. 延长,扩大

extension n. 延长,扩充

extensive adj. 广的,多方面的,广泛的

extenuate v. 掩饰,减轻,使(罪过)等显得轻微;为。。。提供理由

exterior n. 外部,外表

exterminate vt. 根除,灭绝

分享到
重点单词
  • explosiveadj. 爆炸(性)的 n. 炸药
  • exterminatevt. 扑灭,消灭,根绝
  • explorationn. 探险,踏勘,探测
  • minutesn. 会议记录,(复数)分钟
  • overnightn. 前晚 adj. 通宵的,晚上的,前夜的 adv.
  • athleten. 运动员
  • mineraladj. 矿物的 n. 矿物,矿石
  • exhibitionn. 展示,展览
  • extensiveadj. 广泛的,广阔的,广大的
  • operatev. 操作,运转,经营,动手术