胡敏读故事记托福单词 第93期:The Proposal 建议
日期:2012-11-06 12:10

(单词翻译:单击)

中英文本

The Proposal
建议
“Don't pay any attention to the facade,” said Ruth.
“别注意饭店的正面,”鲁丝说,
“The external part of the restaurant is being renovated.
“它外面的部分正在重修,
It's much nicerinside.” Ruth had extolled the restaurant so much that Linda felt compelled to try it.
内部要漂亮的多。”鲁丝对饭店大为赞赏,琳达觉得非得进去去试试。
Linda sat down and stared at the menu. “The prices are extravagant.”
琳达坐下来,瞪大眼睛看着菜单:“价格太高了。”
“Don't worry, I'll treat you,” Ruth replied.
“不必担心,我请客。”鲁丝回答,
She had an exuberant smile.
她兴高采烈地笑着,
“Don't you think this place exudes charm? Even the napkins are made of special fabric.”
“你不认为这个地方魅力四射吗?就连餐巾都是由特别织物做的。”
“I thought places like this were extinct in our district,” Linda said.
“我认为这样的地方在我们地区已经灭绝了。”琳达说,
She lit a cigarette and began to smoke.
她点着一只烟开始抽起来。
“Speaking of extinction, you're not going to be in existence for much longer if you keep smoking,” Ruth said.
“说我‘灭绝',如果你继续抽烟,你也不会活多久。”鲁丝说,
Ruth thought Linda's extremities were losing color due to her smoking.
鲁丝认为琳达的双手由于吸烟正在失去光泽。
“Besides, it's against the law to smoke in a public restaurant.”
“而且,在公共饭店吸烟是违法的。”
Just then, a police officer approached.
正说着,一个警官过来了。
“Madam, please extinguish your cigarette,” the policeman said.
“小姐,请灭掉你的烟。”警官说,
“I'm not trying to extort money from you but the law requires that you pay me a $300 fine.”
“我不是在勒索你,但法律规定,你得交300美元的罚款。”
The officer turned to Ruth. “You're an eyewitness.”
他又转向鲁丝,“你是目击人。”
“Well, you're going to have to extract it from somebody else because I don't have $300,” Linda said.
“那么,你得从别人那儿榨取这笔钱,因为我没有300美元。”琳达说。
Ruth and the police officer laughed.
鲁丝和警官都笑了。
“He's being facetious,” Ruth said.
“他在开玩笑。”鲁丝解释说,
“This is my boyfriend, James. He's humorous, isn't he?”
“这是我的男朋友,詹姆斯。他很幽默,不是吗?”
Linda wasn't amused. “Sure,” Linda said.
琳达可不觉得好笑,“的确,”她说,
“His joke was an funny as my last facelift.
“他的玩笑跟我上次整容一样荒唐,
Next time, just tell me a fable.”
下次直接跟我讲个神话得了。”
“I thought it might facilitate your effort to quit smoking,” James said.
“我原以为这会促使你努力戒烟,”詹姆斯,
“I'm dory if my facile effort upset you.
“如果我轻率浅薄的做饭冒犯了你,
Come to the police facility someday and I'll show you around.
我像你道歉。改天到警察署来,我带你参观。
However, the real reason I'm here is to give Ruth this diamond ring.”
不过,我来这儿的真正原因是送给鲁丝这个钻石戒指。”
“It was so many beautiful facets!” Ruth sighed.
“它有那么漂亮的琢面。”鲁丝感叹道。
James kneeled. “Will you marry me?”
詹姆斯跪下来:“你愿意嫁给我吗?”
词语解释

external adj. 外部的,表面的

extinct adj. (动物)灭绝的;(火山)不再活跃的;熄灭的

extinction n. 消失,灭绝

extinguish v. 熄灭,消灭,扑灭

extol vt. 赞美

extort v. 勒索,强夺

extract n. 榨出物,精华;vt. 得到;榨出

extravagant adj. 过分的,过度的,放肆的;奢侈的

extremity n. 末端;极度;(人的)手足

exuberant adj. 充满活力的

exude v. 使慢慢流出,四溢

eyewitness n. 目击者

fable n. 寓言,神话;无稽之谈

fabric n. 织物,布;结构,构造

fa?ade n. 正面,表面

facetious adj. 幽默的,滑稽的;好开玩笑的

facile adj. 容易做的;敏捷的;轻率浅薄的,非发自内心的

facilitate vt. 使容易;有助于,促进

facility n. 设施,设备;(供特定用途的)场所,军事机构

分享到
重点单词
  • facetiousadj. 轻浮的,好开玩笑的
  • charmn. 魅力,迷人,吸引力,美貌 v. (使)陶醉,(使)
  • facilitatevt. 帮助,使 ... 容易,促进
  • proposaln. 求婚,提议,建议
  • upsetadj. 心烦的,苦恼的,不安的 v. 推翻,翻倒,扰乱
  • extolvt. 颂杨,称赞
  • eyewitnessn. 目击者,见证人
  • externaladj. 外部的,外面的,外来的,表面的 n. 外部,外
  • extravagantadj. 奢侈的,浪费的,过度的,大量的
  • districtn. 区,地区,行政区 vt. 把 ... 划分成区