胡敏读故事记托福词汇 第2期:Love of Numbers 对数字的热爱
日期:2012-06-29 15:03

(单词翻译:单击)

As an academician,I think Mathematics isan intriguing and absorbing science.

作为一名学者,我认为数学是一门既有趣又引人入胜的科学。

How ever, many of my students consider itan abstract science and they hate it because the equations are too difficult toabsorb and to remember.

然而,我的许多学生却认为这是一门抽象科学,他们憎恨数学,因为数学公式太难理解又太难记住。

I think my students would laugh if theyknew how I became so interest in Math.

我想如果我的学生知道我是如何对数学产生兴趣的,一定会哄堂大笑。

When I was a freshman in college, I alsobelieve Math was a mere abstraction. Study it was like falling into a spinningabyss of numbers and symbols.

上大一时,我也觉得数学无非就是一种抽象,学数学就好像掉进了数字和符号那令人眩晕的深渊。

Just thinking about it seems like an abuseof my brain.

仅仅是思考数学问题似乎都在浪费大脑。

However, my entire tuition was financed byan academic scholarship, so I have to maintain high marks in all of my classes,including Math.

但由于我的学费全靠学习奖学金,因此我不得不每门功课都拿高分,这自然也包括数学。

My most abstruse class was AdvancedCalculus Mathematics.

最深奥难懂的课非微积分莫属。

It was taught in a large lecture hall whichabutted the North access gate of the University.

当时在一个大讲堂上课,这个课堂紧靠学习北门的入口。

Unlike many absentees in my class who oftenabstained from attending the boring lectures, I dare not absolve myself fromthis responsibility.

班里诸多缺席者常常是刻意回避那些无聊的讲座,我却不敢自作主张的免除听课的责任。

Any degree of absenteeism would cause me tofail Math and to lose my scholarship.

旷课次数无论多少都可能导致我数学的不及格,

I was so afraid of failing that I evenpledged abstinence from my abundant supply of alcohol.

甚至还发誓要对自己充裕的酒类供应加以节制。

It wasn't until the fourth week of Mathclass when I met the wonderful person who would accelerate my interest andunderstanding of this absurd subject.

数学课上到第四周,我才遇到那位促使为对这门荒谬的学科产生兴趣继而理解它的好人。

She was a foreign exchange student fromBeijing.

她是从北京来的交换生,也是一位卓越的数学家。

She was also a brilliant mathematician. Shewould come to the class everday in a coulorful silk scraf that accentuated herlovely smile.

每天她都会系着一条色彩鲜艳的围巾来上课,那条围巾更衬托出她的笑脸。

It was so nice to meet someone from my homecountry.

能遇到同胞真是太好了。

She inspired me to love Math.

她激起了我对数学的热爱。

Although we now live and teach in differentcountries, I still see her smiling face between every number I write!

尽管我们现在在不同的国家生活和教学,我仍能在我写下的各个数字间看到她微笑的脸庞!

分享到
重点单词
  • abutv. 邻接,毗连
  • acceleratevt. 加速,提前,跳级 vi. 加速
  • abstinencen. 节制,禁食,戒酒
  • inspiredadj. 有创见的,有灵感的
  • advancedadj. 高级的,先进的
  • alcoholn. 酒精,乙醇,酒
  • abstainv. 自制,戒绝
  • intriguingadj. 吸引人的,有趣的 vbl. 密谋,私通
  • calculusn. 微积分
  • abstractn. 摘要,抽象的东西 adj. 抽象的,理论的 vt.