《巴斯克威尔猎犬》第56期:巴斯克维尔猎犬(3)
日期:2012-09-04 11:49

(单词翻译:单击)

正文部分

"Listen!" said Holmes sharply. "Look out! It's coming!"

“听!”福尔摩斯突然尖声说道。“当心!它来了!”

I heard him make his revolver ready to fire, and I did the same.

我听到他将左轮手枪做好开火的准备,我也这么做了。

There was a sound of quick, light footsteps from inside the curtain of fog.

从浓雾里传来了急促而又轻巧的脚步声。

The thick cloud had crept to within fifty metres of where we were hidden.

那云状的浓雾已经飘到了距我们藏匿的地方不到50米之处。

We tried to see into it, and wondered what horrible thing would appear. I looked at Holmes.

我们努力向雾里张望着,不知道那里将出现什么可怕的东西。我看了看福尔摩斯。

His eyes were fixed on the place where the path disappeared into the fog. He was pale, but his eyes were bright.

他的双眼直勾勾地盯着这条小路被大雾遮没之处。他面色苍白,可是双眼闪闪发光。

He looked like a man who was going to win the most important game of his life.

他看上去像一位即将赢得一生中最重要的比赛的人。

Then suddenly his eyes nearly jumped out of his head, and his mouth opened in frightened surprise.

接着,他的双眼突然之间几乎要从眼眶里迸出来了,嘴巴因惊吓而大张着。

I looked away from him to see what his eyes werefixed on.

我从他的身上移开视线去看他注视的地方。

When I saw the awful shape that was coming towards us out of the fog, my blood turned cold.

当我看到从雾中窜出、向我们直面扑来的那个形状可怕的怪物时,我便吓得魂飞魄散了。

The revolver nearly fell from my hands, and my whole body froze with fear.

左轮手枪几乎要从手中跌落了,而我的整个身体也因害怕而发僵了。

I saw a hound, an enormous black hound. It was bigger than any dog I had ever seen.

我看到了一只猎犬,一只大的、黑色的猎犬。它比我所见过的任何狗都要大。

But it was something else that filled us with terror. No human eye had ever seen a hound like this one.

可是,是别的原因才使我们充满恐惧之情的。任何人都未见过与此类似的猎犬。

Fire came from its open mouth. Its eyes were burning. Flames covered its head and body.

火从它那张着的嘴巴里喷了出来。它的眼睛亮得像冒火一样。头和躯体都由火焰笼罩着。

It was a more horrible sight than anyone could imagine—a hell-hound sent by the devil. It was not a creature of the natural world.

这是一幅比任何人的想像所及还要恐怖的景象——一只由从恶魔派来的地狱看门犬。它不是自然界的一个生灵。

The huge, black, burning hound ran quickly and silently after Sir Henry.

那只发光的大黑猎犬快速地、悄无声息地在亨利爵士后面跑着。

Far away along the path we saw him turn and look back at the hound.

我们从这条小路的远处看到,亨利爵士转身向后看到了那只猎犬。

His face was white in the moonlight and his hands were lifted in horror.

他的脸色在月光下惨白,双手恐惧地举了起来。

He watched helplessly as the terrible creature got closer to him.

那个可怕的家伙逼近他时他绝望地瞪着眼睛。

We were so frozen by the ghostly and unnatural sight that we let the hound go past us, and we could not move.

我们被这个幽灵鬼怪似的景象惊得竟发呆到了那种程度,以至于听任它从我们身旁跑过,我们自己还丝毫动弹不得。

Our friend was near to death, and we were helpless with fear.

我们的朋友正濒于死亡的边缘,而我们则因恐怖而无能为力。

妙语佳句

1.look out 注意;面朝;照料

eg. I'm sure the girl will be able to look out for herself.
我相信女孩会自己照料好自己的。

eg. He flipped on the microphone switch and said, “Look out!
他轻轻打开麦克风开关,说:“注意了!

2.fix on 确定;固定;使集中于

eg. We don't really have a good fix on the concept.
我们不能有个很好的确定的定义。

eg. You can refer a non-existing method in your code and invoke quick-fix on it to create it instantly.
你也可以在代码中使用一个不存在的方法,然后调用快速修正功能来快速创建它。

分享到
重点单词
  • enormousadj. 巨大的,庞大的
  • terrorn. 恐怖,惊骇,令人惧怕或讨厌的人或事物
  • curtainn. 窗帘,门帘,幕(布) vt. (用帘)装饰,(以帘
  • microphonen. 麦克风,扩音器
  • invokevt. 求助,用咒语召唤,请求,应用,引起 [计算机]
  • helplessadj. 无助的,无依靠的
  • fell动词fall的过去式 n. 兽皮 vt. 砍伐,击倒 a
  • coden. 码,密码,法规,准则 vt. 把 ... 编码,制
  • conceptn. 概念,观念
  • frightenedadj. 受惊的,受恐吓的