《巴斯克威尔猎犬》第37期:沼地上的那个人(2)
日期:2012-08-08 11:08

(单词翻译:单击)

正文部分

We went up onto the roof, and we did not have to wait long. There was someone moving on a hill in front of the house.
我们到了屋顶上,我们并不需久等。有人正在屋前的小山上移动着。
I looked through the telescope and saw a small boy with a bag over his shoulder.
我透过望远镜观察并看到肩上扛着一个包的小男孩。
He looked around to make sure that noboay was following him, and then he disappeared over the hill.
他向四处张望着以确保没人跟踪他,后来就在山那边不见了。
"Remember that I don't want the police to know my secret, Dr Watson,"
“记住:我不想叫警方知道我的秘密,华生医生,”
Frankland reminded me. "I'm too angry with them at the moment to help them."
费兰克兰提醒我说。“我现在对他们太生气了,以至于都不想帮他们的忙。”
I agreed not to tell the police, and said goodbye.I walked along the road while Frankland was watching me,
我同意不告诉警方并道了别。弗兰克兰望着我时我便顺着大路走,
but as soon as I was round the corner, I went towards the hill where we had seen the boy.
但是一转过弯我就朝着看到小男孩的那座小山走去。
The sun was already going down when I reached the top of the hill.I could not see the boy,
当我到达山顶时,太阳已经就要落山了。我看不见那个小男孩,
and there was nothing else in that lonely place Beneath me on the other side of the hill was a circle of old stone huts.
在这个荒凉的地方也没有旁人。在我下面的山坡的另一旁有一些围成一圈的古老的石屋。
In the middle of the circle was one hut that had a better roof than the others, so it would keep out the wind and the rain.
中间有一栋屋顶比其他的要好一些的石屋,因此它可以挡风避雨。
This must be the place where the mysterious man was hiding! I would soon know his secret.
这一定就是那位神秘人士的藏身之处了。我不久就可知晓他的秘密了。
As I walked towards the hut, I saw that someone had certainly been using it. A path had been worn up to the door.
当我朝着石屋走去时,我意识到一定有人用过这地方。一条小路已被人踩出,一直通向房门。
I took my revolver out of my pocket, and checked that it was ready to fire.
我从衣兜里取出了左轮手枪,并确认它可以随时射发了。
I walked quickly and quietly up to the hut, and looked inside. The place was empty.
我快速、轻盈地向小屋走去,并向屋里望了望。里面空空如也。

妙语佳句

in front of 在……前面

eg. Waiting her chance, the girl nipped in front of an old woman.
瞅准机会,那个女孩很快插在了老太太的前面。

eg. She spent hours in front of the mirror, combing through her long hair.
她在镜子前花费好几个钟头梳理她的长发。

in the front of 在……前面

eg. He sat in the front of the classroom.
他坐在教室的前面。(在教室里面)

eg. The girl is standing at/in the front of the bus.
这个女孩站在公共汽车的前部。(在车内)

两者区别:

“in front of”指“在某物体外部的前面”,即在某参照物的外面。

eg. There is a flower bed in front of our classroom.
我们教室前有一个花坛。(花坛在教室的外部)


而“in the front of”指“某物体内部的前面”,即在某参照物的里面。

eg. There is a computer in the front of our classroom.
我们教师前面有一台电脑。

分享到
重点单词
  • shouldern. 肩膀,肩部 v. 扛,肩负,承担,(用肩)推挤
  • circlen. 圈子,圆周,循环 v. 环绕,盘旋,包围
  • mysteriousadj. 神秘的,不可思议的