《巴斯克威尔猎犬》第53期:陷阱(5)
日期:2012-08-30 10:24

(单词翻译:单击)

正文部分

"Stapleton told me that he could not allow any other man to give me the money for my divorce,"
“斯台普顿对我说,他不能容许别的男人为我的离婚之事而给我出钱,”
Mrs Lyons said. "He said he was poor, but he would give all his money to bring us together.
莱昂丝太太说道。“他说虽然他是个穷人,但是他也要尽自己所有使我们二人得以结合。
Then, after I heard about Sir Charles' death, Stapleton told me to say nothing about my letter and the meeting.
接着,在我听到查尔斯爵士已死一事之后,斯台普顿叫我决不要把关于我写的信件和约他见面的事情说出去。
He said I would be a suspect. He frightened me into staying silent."
他说,我会变成嫌疑犯的。他吓得我不敢说话了。”
"Yes,"said Holmes. "But you wondered about him?"
“正是这样,”福尔摩斯说道。“可是您对他可曾疑惑过?”
She said nothing for a moment, and looked down. "Yes,"she said.
她一时没说什么,还低下了头。“是的,”她说道。
"But since he has lied to me about marrying me, I will no longer keep his secrets."
“可是既然他就娶我一事向我撒谎的话,我也就不再为他保密了。”
"You are lucky that you have escaped him, "Holmes said. "You know too much But I hope you are safe now.
“您能脱身幸运得很呢,”福尔摩斯说道,“您了解得太多了。可是我希望您现在能安全无恙。
Good morning, Mrs Lyons, and thank you. You will hear from us soon."
早安,莱昂丝太太,而且非常感谢。不久您就会听到我们的信儿了。”
"So one by one our questions are answered, "said Holmes as we left Newtown.
“因此,我们的问题一个接一个地被回答了,”我们离开纽顿时福尔摩斯说道。
"When it is over, this will be one of the most famous cases of our time.
“当此案结束时,它将会成为我们所处的时代最著名的案件之一。
And now it has nearly ended. We must hope that it ends safely and successfully."
现在它已几乎结束了。我们必须盼望此案能够平安、顺当地有个了结。”

妙语佳句

1. for a moment 片刻,一会儿;暂时

eg. For a moment I was ready to agree that balance might not be what we all need.
在某一时刻我似乎同意了平衡有可能不是我们所有人都需要的观点。

eg. All my possessions are for a moment of time.
我的一切都是为了那辉煌的一刻。

2. no longer 不再

eg. And I no longer like skating since then.
从那时起我就不再喜欢滑冰了。

eg. For me, it means that I no longer have to take all the decisions for him.
对我而言,这意味着我不再需要为他作一切决定了。

分享到
重点单词
  • frightenedadj. 受惊的,受恐吓的
  • suspectn. 嫌疑犯 adj. 令人怀疑的,不可信的 v. 怀疑