《巴斯克威尔猎犬》第35期:劳拉·莱昂丝(3)
日期:2012-08-01 17:11

(单词翻译:单击)

正文部分

"Because I got help from someone else," she said.
“因为我从别人那儿已得到帮助了, ”她说道。
"Why didn't you write to Sir Charles and tell him? "
“为什么您没有写信给查尔斯爵士并告诉他呢?”
"I was going to, but I saw in the newspaper the next morning that he had died."
“我是打算这么做的,但在第二天早上我在报纸上看到了他已死的消息。”
I asked Mrs Lyons a number of other questions, but she did not change her story,
我问了莱昂丝太太许多别的问题,但是她不管我怎么问都不肯改口。
whatever I asked her. I was sure that she was telling the truth. I could check two important parts of the story.
我敢保证她讲了实话。我可以验证一下她的叙述中关键的两点。
If they were right, there could be no doubt that she was telling the truth.
如果这两处正确无误,那么无疑她是在讲真话。
I could check that she had begun to get her divorce at about the time of Sir Charles'death.
我可以调查一下,看看她在查尔斯爵士逝去之时是否真的开始为离婚而忙乎着。
I could also check that she had not been to Baskerville Hall on the night of Sir Charles'death.
我还可以调查一下,看看她是否在查尔斯爵士逝去的当晚真的没去巴斯克维尔庄园。
But I was not sure that she had told me the whole truth.
但是我不敢肯定她是否已告诉了我全部实情。
Why had she nearly fainted when I had told her about the letter?
当我告诉她关于这封信的事情时她为何几乎要晕了过去呢?
That was not completely explained by the story she had told me.
这点由她告诉我的故事不能完全解释得通。
I had discovered all I could for the moment.
目前我已竭尽全力去发现探索了。
I left her, and went to search for more information in a different place.
我离开了她,到一个与之有别的地方搜寻更多的信息去了。

妙语佳句

at the time of adv. 在……的时候

eg. At the time of this story, they were all at sea.
在这个故事发生的时候,他所有的船只都出海了。

eg. At the time of writing not all the examples are available.
在本文写作的时候,并不是所有的例子都准备好了。


search for v. 寻找;搜索

eg. The default is to search for all categories of vehicles.
默认的设置是在所有的 汽车 分类中搜索。

eg. In your search for serenity, what have you found that works for you?
您在寻找宁静的过程中,发现了什么是对您有效的呢?

分享到
重点单词
  • defaultn. 假设值,默认(值), 不履行责任,缺席 v. 默认
  • availableadj. 可用的,可得到的,有用的,有效的
  • checkn. 检查,支票,账单,制止,阻止物,检验标准,方格图案
  • serenityn. 宁静,沉着