(单词翻译:单击)
1. Expression:You ( can ) bet your boots…
Explanation:You can be absolutely certain that something will happen. (有把握,你可以完全肯定,你说得对)
Example:You bet your boots that I’m mad.
你说得对,我是疯了。
Am I happy!You bet your boots!
我开心不开心?这还用说嘛!
You bet your boots I'm going to that concert—I've been saving up for my ticket for months now!
你说对了,我会去欣赏那场音乐会,因为我已为买票攒钱攒了好几个月了。
Oh, you can bet your boots that Kevin will be late tonight—he's never on time!
噢,你说了,Kevin今晚肯定会迟到的,因为他从来不准时!
I lost my umbrella, so you can bet your boots that it's going to rain soon.
我把雨伞弄丢了,你就完全肯定不久就会下雨吗?
2. Expression:die in one’s boots
Explanation:To fight back, rather than passively accept something.(反击,回击,抵抗)
Example:I know that protesting seems fruitless but we can't just give up on this cause—we have to die in our boots.
我知道抗议似乎是徒劳的,但我们不能就因此放弃,我们必须反击。
I won't let him get me. I'll die in my boots.
我不会让他抓到我,我会反击的。
3. Expression:get the boot
Explanation:To be fired.(被解雇,遭到解雇)
Example:I'm going to get the boot if the boss finds out that printing error was my fault.
如果老板发现打印错误是我的错,我就会被解雇。
The chief reason he got the boot was because the chancellor didn't trust him any more.
他被解雇的主要原因是校长不再信任他了。
The boss kept warning Bill he had to get to work on time. But Bill didn't listen, he kept arriving up to an hour late. So the boss finally lost patience and he got the boot.
比尔的老板多次警告他要准时上班,但Bill不听还是总迟到,有时甚至迟到一个小时。老板最后烦了就让Bill开路了。