点滴英语天天学第309期:雅思词汇(149)
日期:2020-05-10 08:06

(单词翻译:单击)

1. Expression:get off one’s high horse

Explanation:To stop acting as if one is better than other people; to stop being arrogant or haughty.(不再盛气凌人或自命不凡,以平易态度处事待人

Example:You know I’m right. Get off your high horse and admit your mistake!

你知道我是对的,放下你的架子承认错误吧!

Would you get off your high horse and talk to me?

你能放下架子跟我说话吗?

Nancy got off her high horse and make friends with them.

Nancy放下架子,与他们交起了朋友。

2. Expression:hold one’s horses

Explanation:Wait a minute or be patient. (等一会,有耐心点,沉住气

Example:Whoa, hold your horses, kids. We're going to sing before we start eating cake.

慢些,别急,孩子们,我们在吃蛋糕钱要唱歌。

They wanted to say something but I told them to hold their horses until I have finished mine.

他们想说些什么,但我叫他们忍耐一下,等我讲完再说。

Hold your horses and take care not to expose your identity.

沉住气,小心点,别暴露你的身份。

Dad, please hold your horses before you get mad at me. It was the other guy's fault. The cop said so. So his insurance company will have to pay for having the car fixed.

爸爸,请您在对我发火之前冷点些。警察说是别人的错,这样保险公司承担修理费。

3. Expression:horse around

Explanation:To play or fool around in a rough or rowdy manner. (以粗鲁或粗暴的方式胡闹或闲荡,鬼混,胡闹

Example:Later that day I was horsing around with Katie when she accidentally stuck her finger in my eye.

那天晚些时候,我正和凯蒂一起胡闹时,她不小心用手指戳到了我的一只眼睛。

He was horsing around in the kitchen and broke my favourite bowl.

他在厨房里胡闹,打碎了我最喜欢的碗。

Boys, quit horsing around before someone gets hurt! And you have horsed around long enough. It's time to do your assignment .

孩子们,别胡闹了,免得有人受伤。你们也闹够了,该去写作业了。

分享到