一分钟英语(MP3+双语字幕) 第172期:Rule of Thumb 经验法则
日期:2017-05-15 13:00

(单词翻译:单击)

Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目
The thumb is the shortest digit on your hand.
拇指是你手掌上最短的一个手指。
But what does a thumb have to do with rules? Rule of Thumb
不过一个拇指和规则有什么关系?经验法则
I thought you were supposed to be in Mexico City for your friend's wedding.
我记得你应该是去墨西哥城参加你朋友的婚礼啊。
Yeah...about that... I missed my flight last night.
是的,不过我错过了昨晚的航班。
I thought getting there 40 minutes early would be enough time, but it wasn't.
我本以为提前40分钟到时间完全够了,但是还是没来得及。
For international flights, the rule of thumb is to get to the airport two or even three hours early.
对国际航班来说,经验法则是要提前两个甚至三个小时到机场。
Unfortunately, your advice comes about ten hours too late, Jonathan.
很不走运,你的忠告迟到了大约10个小时,Jonathan。

经验法则

A "rule of thumb" is a general estimate.
一则经验法则是一种大致的估计。
It is not scientific or exact.
它并不是科学的或者说确切的。
This expression comes from using body parts as units of measure.
这个短语来源于用身体部位作为衡量的单位。
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目!

分享到
重点单词
  • minutesn. 会议记录,(复数)分钟
  • measuren. 措施,办法,量度,尺寸 v. 测量,量
  • flightn. 飞行,航班 n. 奇思妙想,一段楼梯 n.
  • thumbn. 拇指 v. 翻阅,示意要求搭车