一分钟英语(MP3+双语字幕) 第165期:Clam Up
日期:2017-05-04 14:39

(单词翻译:单击)

Welcome to English in a minute.
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
A clam is a type of shellfish that lives in water.
蛤是一种生活在水里的贝类。
But what do you think this idiom means? Clam Up
你觉得这个习语是什么意思呢?保持沉默
Hey, how was your weekend?
嘿,你周末过得怎样?
It was great. I went to on a nice bike ride and met with friends for dinner. What beautiful weather.
不错。我去骑车了,还和朋友们一起见面吃了个饭。天气很好。
And... How did your date go Friday with my friend Pat? Well..
那你周五和我朋友帕特的约会怎样?额...
Uh, no, why are you clamming up? C'om, talk.
噢,不,你为什么不吭声了?说吧。
I am sure he is great. I just don't think we're right for each other...
我知道他很好,只是我觉得我们不合适.

保持沉默

The "calm up" means to say nothing... or stop talking.
calm up的意思是什么都不说,或者是停止说话。
This idiom compares a clam closing its shell to a person shutting his or her mouth.
这个习语是把蛤合上的样子比喻成人合上嘴巴。
We use this expression to describe a person who, for whatever reason, does not want to give a response.
我们用这种表达方式来描述某人因为某个原因不给出回应。
And that's English in a minute.
以上就是英语一分钟的内容。

分享到