一分钟英语(MP3+双语字幕) 第124期:Sugarcoat 掩饰
日期:2017-03-03 11:16

(单词翻译:单击)

Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
Sugar is sweet and tasty! And a coat is the outer covering of something.
糖很甜很好吃。而外层是指某种东西的外面覆盖物。
So I just looked inside your car.
刚才我看了下你车里面。
Tell me what's wrong. And don't sugarcoat it. I can take it.
告诉我哪里坏了。不要有所掩饰。我能承受。
Your engine is destroyed. You need a new car.
你的发动机彻底坏了。你得换新车了。
Wow! You could have sugarcoated that news a little.
哇!你本来是可以掩饰一点点的。

Sugarcoat 掩饰

If you talk about a problem in a way that makes the issue seem more pleasant than it is...you are sugarcoating it.
如果你在谈论某个问题时,用的是和善的方式,而实际上事情更严重时,你就是在掩饰它了。
This expression comes from drug makers.
这个表述源自制药者。
In the past, they started putting sugar on some pills to make them easier to swallow.
过去,他们将糖裹在某些药物外面,使得药片更好吞咽。
When you sugarcoat bad news, you make it easier for the other person to hear.
当你掩饰坏消息时,听者会更容易接受。
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目!

分享到