(单词翻译:单击)
听力文本
This is 60-Second Science. I'm Tulika Bose.
这里是科学美国人——60秒科学系列,我是图利卡·博斯
You probably already know what a black hole is, but have you ever heard of the black hole information paradox?
你可能已经了解了黑洞的概念,但你听说过黑洞信息悖论吗?
I'm here with Clara Moskowitz, our space and physics editor who just edited a big, special issue for Scientific American on black holes.
现在和我在一起的是克拉拉·莫斯科维茨,她是我们的空间和物理编辑,她刚刚为《科学美国人》编辑了关于黑洞的一期特刊
Hey, Clara.
嗨, 克拉拉
Hi, thanks for having me.
嗨,谢谢你们邀请我
So, Clara, what are we here to talk about today?
克拉拉,我们今天要谈什么?
We're here to talk about the black hole information paradox, which has been a problem in physics for a long time.
我们今天要讨论的是黑洞信息悖论,这个问题在物理学中已经存在很长时间了
Basically black holes seem to break the rules of physics.
基本上,黑洞似乎打破了物理学的规则
And part of the reason why is because we have to use two different theories to describe them.
部分原因是我们必须用两种不同的理论来描述它们
And the two theories do not get along.
这两种理论互相打架
On the one hand, we have quantum mechanics, which describes the world of the very small atoms and particles.
一方面,我们有量子力学,这一理论描述了由微小原子和粒子组成的世界
On the other hand, we have general relativity, which describes things that are very big, very massive, very large, and most things in the world don't require both theories.
另一方面,我们有广义相对论,这一理论描述的是大尺寸,大质量,大规模的事物,世界上大多数事情都不需要同时满足这两种理论
They're either big or they're small.
这些事物要么大,要么小
Black holes are both.
黑洞却两者兼有
Black holes are the densest things in the entire universe.
黑洞是整个宇宙中密度最大的物质
And they take up very little space, but they have so much mass.
黑洞占据的空间很小,但质量却很大
You really need both theories.
需要两种理论来解释
And yet when you try to combine quantum mechanics and general relativity, everything goes crazy.
然而,当你试图把量子力学和广义相对论结合起来时,一切都变得疯狂起来
How can two rules of physics not apply?
两条物理定律怎么可能不适用呢?
Each one works perfectly in its own realm.
每一个理论都在自己的领域里完美地运作
So quantum mechanics does very well describing everything that's, that's subatomic, everything that we can't see, that's very small.
量子力学可以很好地描述所有亚原子的东西,所有我们看不到的,非常小的东西
And general relativity works perfectly to describe very big things like the motions of planets.
而广义相对论可以完美地描述非常巨大的东西,比如行星的运动
But we almost never have to combine them in one example, except for black holes.
但我们几乎不需要把这两种理论结合到一个例子中,除了黑洞
Black holes take up very little space, but they have so much mass that general relativity and quantum mechanics equally apply.
黑洞占据的空间很小,但它们的质量很大,因此广义相对论和量子力学同样适用黑洞
And yet when you try to combine the two theories, they don't work together.
然而,当你试图将这两种理论结合起来时,它们并不能一起运作
How exactly do they not work together?
这两种理论怎么不能一起运作呢?
Basically, when you try to combine them, the equations break, they give infinities, they just don't produce answers or calculations that you can use that you can work with.
基本上,当试着把它们结合起来时,方程会断裂,会给出无穷大的数,不会产生你可以使用的答案或计算结果
And it's a sign that something is missing.
这是一种遗漏了什么东西的迹象
We don't fully understand something.
有些事情我们还没有完全理解
And the thing that we don't fully understand is gravity.
我们还不完全了解的是引力
关注微信公众号【可可双语精读】,获取详细讲解内容