《那些年那些诗》第68篇:尤利西斯 Ulysses(2)
日期:2013-09-07 09:58

(单词翻译:单击)


阿尔弗雷德·丁尼生是英国维多利亚时代最受欢迎及最具特色的诗人。他的诗歌准确地反映了他那个时代占主导地位的看法及兴趣,这是任何时代的英国诗人都无法比拟的。代表作品为组诗《悼念》。

To whom I leave the scepter and the isle—

我给他留下我的岛国和君权节杖,

Well-loved of me, discerning to fulfill

我很爱他,他有胆有识,

This labour, by slow prudence to make mild

能胜任这一果作;谨慎耐心地 教化粗野的民族,

A rugged people, and through soft degrees Subdue them to the useful and the good.

用温和的步骤 驯化他们,使他们成为有用的良民。

Most blameless is he, centered in the sphere

他是无可指责的,他虽年少,

Of common duties, decent not to fail In offices of tenderness, and pay

在我离去后他会担起重任,

Meet adoration to my household gods,

并对我家的信护神表示崇敬。

When I am gone. He works his work, I mine.

他做他的工作,我走我的路。

There lies the port; the vessel puffs her sail:

海港就在那边,海船正扬帆起航,

There gloom the dark broad seas. My mariners,

大海黑暗一片。我的水手们

Souls that have toiled, and wrought, and thought with me—

与我同辛劳、同工作、同思想的人—— 。

That ever with a frolic welcome took The thunder and the sunshine, and opposed

对雷电和阳光永远是同等的欢迎

Free hearts, free foreheads—you and I are old;

并用自由的心与头颅来抗争,你们和我都已老了,

Old age had yet his honour and his toil;

但老年仍有老年的荣誉、老年的辛劳;

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done,

死亡终结一切,但在终点前 我们还能做出一番崇高的事业,

Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods. The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks:

使我们配称为与神斗争的人。 礁石上的灯塔已开始闪烁,

The long day wanes: the slow moon climbs: the deep

长昼将尽,月亮缓缓爬上天边,

Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends,

海洋向四周发出各种呻吟。来吧,朋友们,

'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.

探寻新的世界 现在为时不晚。开船吧!

Push off, and sitting well in order smite The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds

坐成排,划破这喧哗的海浪,

To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths

我决心驶向太阳沉没的彼方,

Of all the western stars, until I die.

超越西方星斗的浴场,至死方止。

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:

也许深渊会把我们呑噬,

It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,

也许我们将到达琼岛乐土,

And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.

与老朋友阿喀琉斯会晤。

Though much is taken, much abides; and though

尽管我们被拿走的很多,留下的也不少,

We are not now that strength which in the old days

虽然我们的力量已不如当初,

Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are,

已远非昔曰移天动地的雄姿,

One equal-temper of heroic hearts,

但我们还是一如既往,有同样的性情,有同样的雄心

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

虽被时光和命运摧弱,但仍有坚强的意志,

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

坚持着 去奋斗、去探索、去寻求,就是不屈服。

分享到
重点单词
  • subduev. 使服从,压制,减弱
  • tendernessn. 温柔,娇嫩,柔软
  • yieldn. 生产量,投资收益 v. 生产,屈服,投降,弯下去,
  • discerningadj. 有见识的
  • prudencen. 审慎,慎重,精心明辨
  • mildadj. 温和的,柔和的
  • toiln. 辛苦,苦工,网,罗网,圈套 v. 苦干,跋涉,费力
  • opposedadj. 反对的,敌对的 v. 和 ... 起冲突,反抗
  • unbecomingadj. 不适合的
  • vesseln. 容器,器皿,船,舰 n. 脉管,血管,[植]