点滴英语天天学第298期:雅思词汇(138)
日期:2020-05-03 07:14

(单词翻译:单击)

1. Expression:mad as wet hen

Explanation:Enraged; extremely or inconsolably angry. (非常生气

Usage:这个短语实省略了as,可以在 mad前面加上as,即:as mad as a wet hen。

ExampleMy dad was mad as a wet hen after I crashed his car.

我把我爸的车撞坏了,他气得发疯。

You make me as mad as a wet hen with the way you carry on sometimes, you know that?

你有时候让我很生气,是因为你做事的方式,你意识到这点吗?

Everybody that was not invited was as mad as a wet hen.

没有受到邀请的人个个都很生气。

2. Expression:like a hen with one chicken

Explanation:Extremely anxious and overprotective. (极度焦虑而过度保护,在小事情上瞎操心,大惊小怪的)

Example:A: I can't believe your curfew is only nine o'clock.

真不敢相信你的宵禁时间在9点钟。

B: Yeah, my mom can be like a hen with one chick sometimes.

是的,我母亲有时候在小事情上瞎操心。

She never lets her son go out on his own; she's like a hen with one chicken.

她从来不让她儿子单独外出,她总是大惊小怪的。

3. Expression:hen party

Explanation:A gossipy party attended by women. (女人参加的闲聊式的聚会,女人参加的八卦聚

Expression:The girls at work planned a hen party for Sarah since she is due to get married soon.

由于萨拉很快就准备结婚了,所以公司里的姑娘们为她准备了一个闲聊式的聚会。

I'll be home tonight to take care of the kids because Susan has a hen party with the women she went to college with. Friday it's my turn - I'm going to a stag party to play poker.

我今晚得在家照顾孩子,因为Susan要去参加以前大学女同学的妇女闲聊式的聚会。然而星期五将轮到我出去,我要去参加男子聚会打扑克。

My wife had a hen party at our house yesterday so I went to the movie.

因为昨天我太太在我们家里举行一场闲聊式的聚会,所以我就去看电影了。

分享到