(单词翻译:单击)
It was then that the fox appeared.
就在这当儿,跑来了一只狐狸。
"Good morning," said the fox.
“你好。”狐狸说。
"Good morning," the little prince responded politely, although when heturned around he saw nothing.
“你好。”小王子很有礼貌地回答道。他转过身来,但什么也没有看到。
"I am right here," the voice said, "under the apple tree."
“我在这儿,在苹果树下。”那声音说。
"Who are you?" asked the little prince, and added, "You are very pretty tolook at."
“你是谁?”小王子说,“你很漂亮。”
"I am a fox," said the fox.
“我是一只狐狸。”狐狸说。
"Come and play with me," proposed the little prince. "I am so unhappy."
“来和我一起玩吧,”小王子建议道,“我很苦恼…”
"I cannot play with you," the fox said. "I am not tamed."
“我不能和你一起玩,”狐狸说,“我还没有被驯服呢。”
"Ah! Please excuse me," said the little prince.
“啊!真对不起。”小王子说。
But, after some thought, he added: "What does that mean tame?"
思索了一会儿,他又说道:“什么叫驯服呀?”
"You do not live here," said the fox. "What is it that you are looking for?"
“你不是此地人。”狐狸说,“你来寻找什么?”
"I am looking for men," said the little prince. "What does that mean tame?"
“我来找人。”小王子说,“什么叫驯服呢?”
"Men," said the fox. "They have guns, and they hunt. It is very disturbing.
“人,”狐狸说,“他们有枪,他们还打猎,这真碍事!
They also raise chickens. These are their only interests. Are you looking for chickens?"
他们唯一的可取之处就是他们也养鸡,你是来寻找鸡的吗?”
"No," said the little prince. "I am looking for friends. What does that mean tame?"
“不,”小王子说,“我是来找朋友的。什么叫驯服呢?”
"It is an act too often neglected," said the fox. It means to establish ties."" To establish ties?"
“这是已经早就被人遗忘了的事情,”狐狸说,“它的意思就是建立联系。”
"Just that," said the fox. To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys.
“建立联系?”“一点不错,”狐狸说。对我来说,你还只是一个小男孩,就像其他千万个小男孩一样。
And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me.
我不需要你。你也同样用不着我。
To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes.
对你来说,我也不过是一只狐狸,和其他千万只狐狸一样。
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other.
但是,如果你驯服了我,我们就互相不可缺少了。
To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.
对我来说,你就是世界上唯一的了;我对你来说,也是世界上唯一的了。
"I am beginning to understand," said the little prince. "There is a flower... I think that she has tamed me..."
“我有点明白了。”小王子说,“有一朵花…,我想,她把我驯服了…”
"It is possible," said the fox. "On the Earth one sees all sorts of things."
“这是可能的。”狐狸说,“世界上什么样的事都可能看到…”