(单词翻译:单击)
There is no doubt that large tracts of our frozen wilderness are undergoing dramatic changes.
无庸置疑的是,有大片的冰冻荒野正在发生剧变。
But what about the largest body of ice of all... Antarctica?
那么全南极最大的冰体又是如何呢?
We have already seen how, even here, animals living around the fringes are starting to be affected by climate change.
我们已经目睹了,即便是在这里,生活在边缘的动物们已开始受到气候变迁的影响。
But for the adélie penguin the consequences are even more extreme.
然而对阿德利企鹅来说,后果更为极端。
I arrived here for the first time in 1974. This part of the world was just incomprehensibly wild.
我在1974年首次来到这里。这一带的环境是令人难以理解的原始。
It was filled with life. Antarctica absolutely captured me.
充满了生命。南极洲深深掳获我的心。
Professor Bill Fraser has dedicated his entire 45-year career to studying the adélie penguin.
比尔·弗雷瑟教授把整整45年的职业生涯都投入到研究阿德利企鹅。
What really fascinated me was the incredible hardiness of these penguins -- feisty, determined, beautiful little animal.
最令我着迷的是这些企鹅神奇的耐寒程度,好斗、意志坚定,美丽的小动物。
But this environment is changing.
可是这里的环境正在改变。
In the last 45 years, the tremendous warming that has occurred has had an incredible impact.
过去45年来,大幅暖化的结果造成难以想像的冲击。
The changes have been very rapid, more rapid than anyone anticipated.
这种急遽的变化远远超过任何人的预期。
Bill has witnessed first-hand how these changes have affected one of the largest colonies of adélies, on the western side of the antarctic peninsula.
比尔亲眼目睹了这些变化是如何影响南极半岛西侧,其中一个最大的阿德利企鹅栖地。
Four decades ago, this area contained 20,000 adults. Currently, we only have somewhere in the order of 400 breeding pairs.
四十年前,这一带有两万只成年企鹅。目前只剩下约莫四百对左右在繁衍。
One of the issues that adélies are clearly experiencing right now is just the increase in rainfall.
目前阿德利企鹅明显遭遇到的问题之一就是降雨增加。
Adélies are a creature of the high antarctic.
阿德利企鹅是南极深处的生物。
They evolved in a dry, cold polar system. They simply cannot tolerate being continuously wet.
它们在干冷的极地系统中进化。完全无法忍受持续的潮湿。
The chicks are soaking. The rain is penetrating their down, breaking down their ability to insulate themselves.
幼鸟全身湿透。雨水渗入它们的羽绒,损及它们自我保温的能力。
That's why you see they're shivering -- because they're just trying to maintain their body temperature, and they can't. It's sad.
所以才会看到它们发抖--因为它们设法维持体温,却做不到。很悲哀。
This tiny chick at this point has zero chances of surviving.
这只小小的幼鸟此刻完全没有存活机会。
They can't even react to the presence of a predator.
就连掠食者出现都无法做出反应。
We are standing, looking at climate change actually killing off these adélie penguins one at a time.
我们正在目睹着气候变迁不疾不徐地杀死这些阿德利企鹅。