影视剧中的职场美语 第127期:左右为难
日期:2014-07-03 17:19

(单词翻译:单击)

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Desperate Housewives,《绝望主妇》


Oh, come on,Larry. You're my business manager, too.

哦,拜托,拉里。你也是我的业务经理。

I am not leaving this office until you tell me what Carlos is doing with my ski house money.

你不告诉我卡洛斯把买滑雪屋的钱用到哪去了,我是不会离开你办公室的。

Gaby, you're putting me in an uncomfortable position.

加比,你让我处于进退两难啊。

You should talk to Carlos.

你去问卡洛斯好了。

I did! I offered to put myself in a very uncomfortable position,and he still said no.

我早问过了!我还提出弄一个让我自己不舒服的姿势,他也拒绝了。

I'm sorry, but Carlos swore me to secrecy. Please respect that.

抱歉,可卡洛斯让我发誓保密的。请尊重我。

You're right. I'm sorry. No hard feelings.

你说得对。对不起啊,别见怪。

Of course not. Hey. What are you doing?

那是当然。嘿,你干嘛呢?

Hmm. I don't want to be a liar.

嗯。我不想说谎。

When I go home,and I'm in tears and Carlos asks me why, and I say you grabbed my ass,I want to be telling the truth.

我会泪水涟涟的回 家,卡洛斯问起,我就说你摸我屁股,我只是想实话实说。

Well played. Carlos gave $50,000 to one of your neighbors.

算你狠。卡洛斯借了 5万美元给你一个邻居。

What?! Who?!

什么?谁?

A Mike Delfino. Apparently, his business is in big trouble.

一个叫麦克德尔菲诺的家伙。显然他的生意出了大问题。

Oh, my god. Mike's wife is one of my closest friends,and she never said a word. Poor thing.

喊,上帝。麦克的老婆可是我的闺蜜啊,她什么也没说。可怜的女人。

Please don't tell Carlos I told you.

请不要告诉卡洛斯这是我说的。

Of course. I should get going. Do you have parking validation?

当然。我得走了。你有停车证吗?

Oh,those are only for employees. Okay, you could take mine.

哦,只有员工能用。好吧,你拿我的。

职场美语

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

真是进退两难。

I either report the corporate malpractice and get sacked, or pretend nothing's happened against my own conscience.

我要么举报公司的违规操作,这样就会被炒,要么装作什么也不知道,这样良心又很受谴责。

Do the right thing, man!

做对的事啊,伙计!

You're gonna either marry my one-eyed sister or get killed by me.

你要不就娶了我独眼龙的妹妹,要不就被我宰了。

Gosh I am really caught between a rock and a hard place right now.

你这真是让我左右为难啊。

重点讲解

I am put into trouble.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

如果身陷困境,左右为难,进退不是,这样的情景英语中形象地比喻为:I'm caught between a rock and a hard place,直译为“我被困在岩石和一个硬的东西之间”,即“我进退维谷,左右为难”,不知如何脱身。类似的常用口语还有:I'm torn.或I,m stuck.或I'm in a quandary.

分享到
重点单词
  • uncomfortableadj. 不舒服的,不自在的
  • quandaryn. 困惑,迷惑,为难
  • validationn. 批准;确认;生效
  • pretendv. 假装,装作 adj. 假装的
  • malpracticen. 失职,行为不当
  • consciencen. 良心,责任心,顾忌
  • desperateadj. 绝望的,不顾一切的
  • secrecyn. 秘密,保密,隐蔽
  • corporateadj. 社团的,法人的,共同的,全体的
  • liarn. 说谎者