影视剧中的职场美语 第82期:谈论职业病
日期:2014-04-25 16:19

(单词翻译:单击)

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Desperate Housewives,《绝望主妇》


Lynette:How's your back?

莱纳蒂:你的背怎么样了?

Tom:If I don't breathe, great. God, it has been so long since my back has acted up.

汤姆:如果不喘气的话很好。天呐,我的悲痛很久没发作了。

Then wham, out of the blue,I'm crying by a tree stump.

然后,突然间我疼得靠着一个树桩上哭起来了。

Lynette:Well, you're under a lot of stress.

莱纳蒂:哎,你压力太大了啊。

You got a new kid in the family. You're job hunting.

家里又添了一位成员,你还在找工作。

Tom:Ugh. Are we gonna fight about that again?

汤姆:啊,我们又要为这个吵架了吗?

Cause if so, I'm gonna need those last four muscle relaxants.

因为如果是那样的话,我需要把最后4片肌肉迟缓药也吃了。

Lynette:No, I don't wanna fight.

莱纳蒂:不,我不想吵架。

In fact, I was thinking...If you can't find something you like in advertising, maybe you should cast a wider net.

事实上,我在想,如果你不能在广告业找到你喜欢的工作,也许你可以找找别的。

Tom:Meaning what?

汤姆:什么意思?

Lynette:You're a bright guy.

莱纳蒂:你是个聪明人。

Isn't there anything else you might wanna do?

难道没有其他事是你想做的?

Tom:I'd like to play bass for Aerosmith.

汤姆:我想给史密斯飞船乐队当男低音。

Lynette:Okay, let's call that the backup plan.

莱纳蒂:好吧,我们把它列入备选计划。

But, seriously, don't you have some road not taken, some dream you never got around to?

不过说正经的,你还有没有想做而没做的事,有没有还没实现的梦想?

Tom:I don't know, maybe.

汤姆:不知道,也许吧。

Lynette:Maybe?

莱纳蒂:也许?

Tom:I don't know. You get married.

汤姆:我不知道,你结婚了。

You have kids and...you lose track of that stuff.

有孩子了,那么,你所有的梦想就离你远去了。

Lynette:Well, think about it, okay?

莱纳蒂:哦,那你好好想想吧,行吗?

Cause whatever you wanna do, I'm in your corner.

因为无论你想做什么,我都支持你。

职场美语

My neck is stiff,and I feel dizzy and sick after a busy day.

一天紧张工作下来,我的脖子都僵了,头也晕,还恶心。

Me too.I've heard that the massage can relieve pain of the muscle of the affected part,and improve blood circulation.I am eager to have a try.

我也是。我听说按摩可以减轻受损部位肌肉的疼痛,促进血液循环,我很想试试。

Oh,my.After a day's desk job,my neck is stiff.

噢,天哪,一整天伏案工作下来,脖子好疼啊。

You'd better take a break.

你最好休息一下。

重点讲解

I've got a pain in my neck.

My neck is stiff.

我们平常在表达肌肉僵硬酸痛的时候,第一反应就是have/get pain in someplace的句式,其实老外在说话的时候还会用到很多生动的词汇,比如用stiff来表示僵硬酸痛,用swollen来表示肿大,用ache all over和troubled by pain来表示酸痛等等。

分享到
重点单词
  • trackn. 小路,跑道,踪迹,轨道,乐曲 v. 跟踪,追踪
  • relievev. 减轻,救济,解除
  • troubledadj. 动乱的,不安的;混乱的;困惑的
  • affectedadj. 受影响的,受感动的,受疾病侵袭的 adj. 做
  • desperateadj. 绝望的,不顾一切的
  • stressn. 紧张,压力 v. 强调,着重 vt. 强调 n.
  • castv. 投,掷,抛,铸造,丢弃,指定演员,加起来,投射(目
  • stiffadj. 硬的,僵直的,生硬的,拘谨的,不灵活的 adv
  • circulationn. 流通,循环,发行量,消息传播