影视剧中的职场美语 第23期:遭遇挖墙脚
日期:2014-01-16 16:11

(单词翻译:单击)

经典再现
We're not gonna do better next year.
明年不会好过今年。
Why not?
为什么不会?
Well, you know we're being gutted. We're losing Giambi, Damon, Isringhausen. Done deal. We're in trouble.
恩,我们被挖了墙角,失去了吉昂比,达蒙和伊辛桑森,这已成事实,咱们麻烦大了。
You'll find new guys. You found Jason, you found Damon.
你会找到新队员的,你已经发现了詹森和达蒙。
I need more money, Steve.
我需要更多的钱,史蒂夫。
I need more money.
我需要更多的钱。
We don't have any.
我们没有更多的钱。
I can't compete against $120 million with $38 million.
靠着3800万美元,我不可能赢过1.2亿美元的。
We're not gonna compete with these teams that have big budgets.
我们不需要赢过哪些资金丰厚的球队。
We're gonna work within the constraints we have, and you're gonna do the best job that you can recruiting new players.
我们要量力而行,你得尽全力找到新队员,你能行的。
We're not gonna pay $17 million to players.
我们不会付一个球员1700万美元。
I'm not asking you for 10 or 20, 30 million dollars.
我不是向你借1000万,2000万,3000万美元。
I'm just asking for a bit of help.
我只是想要多一点点的帮助。
Get me a little closer and I will get you that championship team. I mean, this is why I'm here.
放手让我干,我会给你带出支冠军球队。我是指,这才是我来这儿的目的。
This is why you hired me.
也正是你雇我的目的。
And I gotta ask you, what are we doing here...
我想问问你,我们在这干嘛?
Billy, I—
比利,你知道…我
if it's not to win a championship?
难道不是为了夺得冠军吗?
I wanna win just as much—
我也想赢…

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Moneyball,《点石成金》

职场美语

I'm really at a loss.All my friends have different ideas about how to do my work.
我真是迷惑了,所有朋友在我如何做好工作这件事上都有不同看法。
Well,you should have a mind of your own.
哦,那你应该有自己的主见。

I just got an offer from another company.It's killing me to choose.
我刚拿到了另一家公司的录取通知,选择好纠结啊。
You should have a mind of your own.
你得有自己的想法。

精讲部分
You need to make your own decision.
You should have a mind of your own.
Mind意为“思想,主意,心意”,have a mind of one's own意思就是“自己的主见,性格果断”。所以如果遇到朋友在某件事上因为旁人的观点而举棋不定,左右摇摆时,你就可以劝说:You should have a mind of your own.

分享到
重点单词
  • championshipn. 锦标赛,冠军,拥护
  • decisionn. 决定,决策
  • competevi. 竞争,对抗,比赛