(单词翻译:单击)
王小姐到美国使馆签证,签证官Bob Jones受理她的申请,Bob得知王小姐是研究古迹的专家后,觉得这个行业很有意思。
B: Wow, that sounds like an interesting line of work. I see here you are a citizen of People's Republic of China. 哇,听起来是个有意思的行业。我知道你是中国人。
W: That's correct. 对的。
B: According to United States law, I'm required to ask you some reasonably personal questions. Please understand that these are formalities and are required of everyone. 按照美国法律,我须要问你一些合理地个人问题。请理解这是惯例。
W: No problem. Ask away. 没有问题,问吧。
B: Do you have proof of your financial stability? I'll need to see a bank statement. 你有可以证明你经济稳定性的证明吗?我须要看下你的银行记录。
W: Yes. I remembered to bring my bankbook. Here you are. 是的。我带了我的银行存折。给你。
签证官Bob说,王小姐从事的行业似乎很有意思,line of work,指的是工作,行业。签证官Bob说,他要问王小姐一些个人问题,these are formalities. Formalities,意思是必要的形式。首先,签证申请人要证明自己的 financial stability,经济实力。
B: Have you ever been involved with terrorism or groups that support terrorism? 你曾参与和恐怖主义有关或者支持恐怖主义的活动吗?
W: Absolutely not. 当然没有。
B: Do you have a criminal record in China? 你在中国有犯罪记录吗?
W: No. Not even a parking ticket. 没有,连停车罚单都没有。
B: Ok...now I'm going to ask you sign a statement that affirms everything you just told me. If you sign this document, it's legally considered the same as swearing an oath in court. Do you affirm that everything you just told me is the truth? 好的……接下来你须要签署一份声明,声明上包括我刚才跟你确定过的问题。如果你签署了,则声明具有合法的法律效应。你确定你刚才说的都是事实吗?
W: I do. 我确定。
签证官问王小姐是否参与过恐怖活动,be involved with,意思是参与,涉及。签证官又问,do you have a criminal record in China? 在中国有没有犯罪记录。王小姐回答说,她连违章停车的罚单都没吃过。违章停车的罚单在英语里叫parking ticket. 签证官最后让王小姐在一份文件上签字,保证自己所说的一切属实。
B: Then please sign here. Thank you. Now I must inform you that anyone applying for a visa to the United States is required to have their fingerprints taken. 那么现在在这里签字吧。谢谢。现在我还责任说,任何申请签证的人都被要求留下指纹。
W: That's not a problem. So...how long before I'll know if my visa is approved. 没有问题。所以……需要多久我才能拿到签证呢?
B: The processing time is usually about 5 days. If there is some problem, you'll get a call or an email. 签发过程大概须要5天。如果有什么问题,你会接到电话或者收到电子邮件。
W: Excellent. Thank you for your assistance, Mr. Jones, you've been a great help. 非常好。琼斯先生,谢谢你的帮助。
B: Not at all...just doing my job. Enjoy your trip to the United States. 不客气……是我份内的事。祝你去美国旅途顺利。
W: I certainly will! 一定会的!
王小姐签好字,还要做指纹取样,按签证官说的,anyone applying for a visa to the United States is required to have fingerprints taken. 凡是申请入境美国签证的人,都要提取指纹。
王小姐问签证申请几天才会有结果,签证官回答说,The processing time is about 5 days,办理签证大约要五天的时间,如果有问题,会电话或是电邮通知申请人,签证官最后还预祝王小姐去美国旅程顺利。