CRI实用英语课堂 Unit 13:Banking English 银行英语
日期:2008-05-28 22:19

(单词翻译:单击)

Part 1 Something About the Bank 银行相关背景知识

随着国际间政治、经济、文化等各个领域交流的不断扩大,国内改革开放政策的日益深入,银行在人们的日常生活中作用越来越大。不管是在国内还是在国外,同银行打交道已经成为人们生活中司空见惯的事。

西方国家的银行体系非常发达,其数量之多,效率之高,服务范围之广,无不让人感到现代文明带给人们的种种方便和优越。电脑已运用于各项银行业务,储户可在全国各地同一银行支行办理各项业务。而且所有的银行都设有自动存取机,就是auto-bank,设在银行门口,各个街区的主要大街,地铁站,超市旁。如果你外出不方便携带大笔款项,只需将你的存折或银行信用卡随身带上,就能随时随地存取现款了。这样既方便又安全。

先来了解一下国外银行的一些业务常识。首先,去银行之前,先要了解银行的营业时间。英美银行一般在早上9:30开始营业,下午4点关门。每周五天工作制,周六周日休息。到了银行,先填存款或取款单。不管有几个人,都要自觉排队。在别人存款或取款时,你必须站在离他一两米远的地方等后,千万不要围在窗口或别人身旁。听到营业员叫时,再过去办理业务。如:I'd like to withdraw $300 from my account. 我想取300元钱。或者I want to deposit $ 200 in my account. 我想存200美元。如果你想在这家银行开户,就可以这样说:May I open an account here, please? 我想开户。营业员就会问:What type of account? 开哪一类的账户?

英美银行业务又很多种,如:活期存款账户,就是:checking account;定期账户,term/fixed deposit 等等。在国外短期居留的人一般来说办一个储蓄帐户就行了。这种账户既方便、安全又实惠,因为能获得一定的利息收入,其他形式的账户一般没有利息,而且每当你开出一张支票,银行还要扣你的服务费,也就是service charge. 储蓄帐户又两种主要形式,一种是(daily interest) savings account /current account. 相当于我国的活期储蓄,可以随时支取,而且有利息。另一种是premium savings account或term (fixed) deposit, 相当于我国的定期储蓄,利息是最高的。

还有一点就是在办理开户手续时,营业员一定会让你留下亲笔签名,signature,这是今后核对的重要依据,所以签名最好是信手写来,不要一笔一划,以防被别人模仿,给自己造成经济损失。

办完开户手续后,一般来说定期储蓄当场就可拿到存单。活期储蓄一般先给一本临时存折,过一两周后就会收到银行寄给你的塑料卡,这张卡上用钢印打有你的名字和账号,你就可以用它办理你的存取款业务了。为了安全起见,你应该记住你的存折密码,然后将其销毁,以防不测。

Useful Words and Phrases:

current deposit, current account 活期存款
fixed deposit, fixed account 定期存款
fixed deposit by installments 零存整取
joint account 联名存款帐户
to open an account 开户头
to close an account, to clear an account 结清
to draw money 取款
drawing-out slip 取款单
the number slip 号码牌
a withdrawal form 取款单
to fill in the receipt in duplicate 一式两份填这张收据
teller, cashier 出纳员
buying rate 买进价格
selling rate 卖出价格
exchange table, conversion table 汇兑换算表
foreign exchange 外汇
exchange rate 外汇率
conversion rate 折合率
foreign exchange restriction 外汇限额
foreign exchange quotations 外汇行情
to check the rate for sb. 查牌价
currency, money 货币
money changing 兑换货币
an exchange form 兑换单
bank note 钞票
note of large denomination 大票
note of small denomination 小票
small change 零钱
subsidiary money 辅币
nickel piece 镍币
plastic currency notes 塑料钞票
convertible money 可兑换(黄金)纸币
interest rate 利率
simple interest 单利
compound interest 复利
legal interest 法定利息
prime rate 优待利率
payable interest 应付利息
lending rate 贷款利率
usury 高利贷
the subsidy rate for value-preserved savings 保值储蓄补贴率
account number 帐目编号
depositor 存户
pay-in slip 存款单
a deposit form 存款单
a banding machine 自动存取机
to deposit 存款
deposit receipt 存款收据
private deposits 私人存款
certificate of deposit 存单
deposit book, passbook 存折
credit card 信用卡
principal 本金
overdraft, overdraw 透支
to counter sign 双签
to endorse 背书
endorser 背书人
to cash 兑现
to honor a cheque 兑付
to dishonor a cheque 拒付
to suspend payment 止付
cheque,check 支票
cheque book 支票本
order cheque 记名支票
bearer cheque 不记名支票
crossed cheque 横线支票
blank cheque 空白支票
rubber cheque 空头支票
cheque stub, counterfoil 票根
cash cheque 现金支票
traveler's cheque 旅行支票
cheque for transfer 转帐支票
outstanding cheque 未付支票
canceled cheque 已付支票
forged cheque 伪支票
Bandar's note 庄票,银票
banker 银行家
president 行长
savings bank 储蓄银行
Chase Bank 大通银行
National City Bank of New York 花旗银行
Hongkong Shanghai Banking Corporation 汇丰银行
Chartered Bank of India, Australia and China 麦加利银行
Banque de I'IndoChine 东方汇理银行
central bank, national bank, banker's bank 中央银行
bank of issue, bank of circulation 发行币银行
commercial bank 商业银行,储蓄信贷银行
member bank, credit bank 储蓄信贷银行
discount bank 贴现银行
exchange bank 汇兑银行
requesting bank 委托开证银行
issuing bank, opening bank 开证银行
advising bank, notifying bank 通知银行
negotiation bank 议付银行
confirming bank 保兑银行
paying bank 付款银行
associate banker of collection 代收银行
consigned banker of collection 委托银行
clearing bank 清算银行
local bank 本地银行
domestic bank 国内银行
overseas bank 国外银行
unincorporated bank 钱庄
branch bank 银行分行
trustee savings bank 信托储蓄银行
trust institution 银行的信托部
credit department 银行的信用部
neighborhood savings bank, bank of deposit 街道储蓄所
credit union 合作银行
credit bureau 商业兴信所
self-service bank 无人银行
land bank 土地银行
construction bank 建设银行
industrial and commercial bank 工商银行
bank of communications 交通银行
mutual savings bank 互助储蓄银行
post office savings bank 邮局储蓄银行
mortgage bank, building society 抵押银行
industrial bank 实业银行
home loan bank 家宅贷款银行
reserve bank 准备银行
chartered bank 特许银行
corresponding bank 往来银行
merchant bank, accepting bank 承兑银行
investment bank 投资银行
import and export bank (EXIMBANK) 进出口银行
joint venture bank 合资银行
credit cooperatives 信用社
clearing house 票据交换所 。

Part 2 Open An Account 开设银行账户

Dialogue Script 1 对话原文 1

Peter: Hi, Jenny. You look kind of worried. What's the matter?
Jenny: Oh, so good to see you! I just got my first scholarship payment.
Peter: That's great.
Jenny: Yes, but instead of cash, I got a check. I don't know what to do with it. I can't buy anything with a check, can I?
Peter: No, you can't. First, you need to deposit the check in a bank, then pay your bills by check and get some cash with your ATM card.
Jenny: But I don't have either check or an ATM card. It's so inconvenient!
Peter: It isn't. Everything is managed by a computer network. If you open an account in a local bank, you can deposit or get money from any ATM all over the city or the country; or even around the world, for that matter. We have three or four ATM machines right here on the campus. You can even get free software from the bank and pay your bills online. So it's actually very convenient.
Jenny: I really appreciate the information. I'll go to open an account right now.
Peter: Don't forget to take your social security card. You do have one, don't you?
Jenny: Yes, I do. As soon as I arrived in the States, a friend helped me apply for one from the social security office, but I never knew what it was for.
Peter: It's for identification. When you picked up your paycheck, didn't they ask for your social security number?
Jenny: Oh, yes, they did. But I couldn't remember the number so I had to fish around in my bag to find the card.
Peter: Well, I'd learn the number by heart if I were you. You'll need it pretty soon.
Jenny: OK, I see.
Peter: Good luck at the bank. See you later.
Jenny: Thanks for your help, bye.

讲解:

1. 在这段对话中,Peter建议Jenny去银行开一个账户,这样用起钱来会比较方便。Peter见Jenny心事重重的,问她怎么回事,Jenny说I just got my first scholarship payment. 我刚拿到我的第一笔奖学金。scholarship, 是指奖学金。领到了奖学金,为什么还会心事重重呢?

2. 因为Jenny收到的是一张支票,而不是现金。支票是check, 现金是cash, 是一个统称。其中还包括bills 或notes, 指钞票,纸币。coins指硬币。例如:Excuse me, but I've no cash on me. Can I pay by check? 对不起,我身边没带现钱,能不能用支票支付?cash这个词不仅可以做名词,还可以做动词,表示“兑换或兑现,把…换成现款”,例如:I'd like to cash this check. 我想兑现这张支票。就是把支票上的数目兑换成现金。

3. 这样的支票是不能用来直接买东西的,Jenny就不知道怎么办了,I don't know what to do with it. What to do with something和 how to deal with something都表示“如何处理某事”,但是动词一个用的是do,一个用的是deal, 大家要注意区分了。

4. Peter 告诉Jenny说要先把支票存在银行里,然后用支票付账或用自动提款卡提取现金。deposit,储蓄,存放。例如:She deposited her money in the bank. 她把钱存在银行里。 那取款就是withdraw,例如:He withdrew $500 from his bank account yesterday. 他昨天从银行账户里提了500美金。

5. ATM card, 自动提款机卡,ATM 是自动提款机,也就是automatic teller machine的开头字母缩写。teller, 就是在银行窗口工作的营业员。Jenny既没有支票也没有自动提款机卡,因为她觉得这两样东西都不是很方便。但是Peter却不这样认为,因为只要在一个银行开了户,就可以在全市、全国甚至全世界的联网支行里存取款。open an account, 就是开户,close an account, 就是销户。

6. 甚至还可以从银行那里得到免费的软件在网上付款。实际上真的是很方便。Peter还提醒Jenny开户不要忘了带社会保险卡,social security card,在美国就相当于身份证,经常要用到。social security number, 社会保险号码,就像我们的身份证号码,可能随时要用到,所以应该记住。但是Jenny总是记不住,每次用的时候都要在兜子里翻半天才能找到,在…翻东西,这里用的是fish around这个词组。例如:He was fishing around his pocket for the keys. 他在兜里翻来翻去找钥匙。

7. Peter劝Jenny一定要把社会保险号码牢牢记住,learn something by heart, 把…记在心里,牢牢记住。You'll need it pretty soon. 你马上就要用到它。这里的pretty,不是一个形容词,而是一个副词,是“非常”的意思,跟so 差不多。。

Dialogue Script 2 对话原文 2

Teller: Can I help you?
Sam: Yes. I'd like to open an account, please.
Teller: What sort of account did you have in mind?
Sam: I need a checking account to pay my bills. Can you tell me how it works?
Teller: Sure. You get a paycheck or a scholarship check made out to you, with the amount due to you, say $ 2,500. You sign your name on the back of the check, mark it "for deposit only"---so no one can cash the check if you lose it---and deposit in your account. You can do that either by mail, or here in the bank with a deposit slip during bank hours, or at any ATM machine twenty-four hours a day.
Sam: That sounds easy. Then what?
Teller: Then you send a check to your landlord for the rent, to the gas and electricity and phone and cable TV companies---whatever. Companies generally include return envelopes with their bills, so you put in your check, stamp the envelope, and drop it in the mail.
Sam: I'm with you so far.
Teller: Be sure to keep a record of your checks you write in this check register, then add up your checks and deduct the amount from our account balance. Make sure you have more money in your account than needed for the checks your write, in case there are any fees.
Sam: What happens if I make a mistake.
Teller: It's very expensive to bounce a check. You'll be charged by the bank and again by the person or company to whom you gave the bad check.
Sam: I see.
Teller: If you have access to a computer, you can pay most of your bills online instead of by mail with software we provide to you for free.
Sam: Is it very complicated?
Teller: Not at all. I'll show you later how it works. First fill out these forms, print your name and social security number here, and here, and sign your name here, and here, and we'll be all set.

讲解:

1. 对话中Sam想要开一个银行账户,在询问营业员该如何办理。营业员问,你想开一个什么类型的账户,What sort of account did you have in mind?,就像我们在第一部分里说的,银行的账户又很多种类型,开之前一定要想清楚。

2. Sam说想开一个活期账户来支付账单,就是checking account,也可以说current account 。这个过程比较复杂,我们来一句一句的解释。营业员告诉Sam比如说你有一张工资支票或者奖学金支票,就是You get a paycheck or a scholarship check made out to you, 支票上注明了你应得的现金数额,比如说是2500美元吧,with the amount due to you, say $ 2,500.

3. 然后在支票的背面签上你的名字并注明“只要储蓄”的字样,支票就存入你的账户了。You sign your name on the back of the check, mark it "for deposit only" and deposit in your account. 这样做是因为即使把支票弄丢了,也没人能把它兑现。so no one can cash the check if you lose it。你可以通过邮寄的形式办理存款手续,也可以在银行营业时间亲自来办理。或者一天24小时中的任何时间都可以在自动提款机上办理手续,看来真的是很简单啊。

4. Sam也这样认为,开户之后Sam就可以开支票给房东支付房租,付水电煤气费等等。Sam都听明白了,他说I'm with you so far. 这在口语当中挺常用的,比如在上课的时候,老师会问,Are you still with me? 你们听明白我讲的了吗?营业员建议Sam一定要在支票记录簿上记下所有的账目,让后把账目加一加,在从结余额中间去减去那些支出。account balance. 就是账户结余,余额。

5. 如果签错了的话,支票被拒付而退还给开票人是要额外的费用的。所以一定要看仔细了。bounce a check,就是拒付支票。一般情况下,如果储户是第一次在该银行办理开户手续,营业员都会做很详细的解说,所以大家不要心慌,只要认真按他说的步骤来进行就可以了。。

Part 3 Useful Sentences At Bank 有用句型

下面我们来总结一下在办理银行各种业务时有用的句型。

开户
What kind of account did you have in your mind?
你想开哪种帐户?
Do you like to open a current account?
你想开一个活期存款帐户吗?
A deposit or current account?
定期还是活期?
Please tell me how you would like to deposit your money.
请告诉我你想存何种户头?
There's a service charge for the checking account but no charge for the savings.
支票户头要收服务费,现金户头不收。
Our minimum deposit for a savings account is 100 dollars.
我们储蓄存款的最低存款额是100美圆。
Five yuan is the minimum original deposit.
最低起存款额是5元。
You can open a savings account at any time with an initial deposit of 50 dollars.
你可随时以50美圆的起存额开立储蓄帐户。
Even one yuan is all right.
甚至一元也可以起存。
Here is your passbook. Please bring it back when you deposit or withdraw money any time you like. Keep it well and inform us whenever you lose it.
这是你的存折,存取款时请带来。保管好存折,遗失请告诉我们。
I'd like to open a current account.
我想开一个活期存款帐户。
I need a checking account so that I can pay my bill.
我需开个支票帐户,这样就能付帐。
We'd like to know how we open a checking-savings account.
我们想知道如何开一个支票储蓄帐户。
I have a checking account here.
我在这里有一个支票存款帐户。
I think I'd like a deposit account.
我想要开个定期存款帐户。
Can I open a current account here?
我能否在这儿开个活期存款帐户?
I want to open a deposit account with you.
我要开个储蓄帐户。
I'd like to open a deposit account with you.
我想在你们这儿开个定期存款帐户。
Could you tell me the difference between a savings account and a checking account?
请告诉我储蓄存款与支票存款的区别好吗?
Please tell me the procedure for opening a savings account.
请告诉我开个储蓄帐户需要什么手续。
Will 100 yuan be enough for a minimum deposit?
100元作最低存款额够吗?
I'd like to know whether a 200 yuan deposit will be enough for opening a checking account.
我想知道开一个支票帐户200元存款是否够。
Could you tell me how to operate this account?
请告诉我如何经管这个帐户好吗?
Is there any minimum for the first deposit?
第一次储蓄有最低限额吗?
How much does each account cost?
每个帐户要花多少钱?

存款
How much do you want to deposit with us?
你想在我们这存多少?
How much do you wish to pay into your account?
你希望在你的户头上存多少?
How much money do you plan to keep in your account on a regular basis?
你计划在你的户头上定期存放多少钱?
How much cash do you plan to deposit in your account?
你有多少钱要存入呢?
I think you may deposit your money with the bank, or leave it here for temporary safe-keeping.
我认为你可把钱存入银行,或留在银行暂保管起来。
Would you please fill in the depositing form, giving the sum of money you're to deposit as well as your name, address and professional unit?
请填张存款单,写明要存的数额以及你的姓名,地址和工作的单位,好吗?
Please sign your name on the bottom line if you want to cash the check.
如果想兑支票,请在底线上签名。
Please write your account number on the back of the check.
请在支票背面写上你的帐号。
We honored the check as the overdraft was only 5 yuan.
我们承兑这张支票的透支额只有5元。
Please endorse the cheque.
请背签这张支票。
The traveler's checks cost 1.5% of the total amount of purchase.
旅行支票手续费是购买总额的1.5%。
Here's the cheque book. When you send a cheque by post be careful to cross it, but if you wish to cash a cheque yourself, you must leave it "open".
这是一本支票簿,你邮寄支票时,注意要在支票上打叉线。但是如果你本人想开张兑现支票,就不可打叉线。 Each cheque you write will cost 2 dollars.
你每开一张支票将花2美圆。
I want to deposit 300 yuan in my account.
我想在我的户头上存300元。
I want to deposit these cheques in my account.
我想把这些支票存在我的户头上。
I'd like to pay 200 yuan into my deposit account.
我想在在我的定期存款户头上存200元。
I want to deposit my paycheck.
我想存入我的工资支票。
I'd like to know whether I can cash a cheque here.
我想知道我能否在这兑换支票。
Will you please cash this traveler's cheque?
请兑现这张旅行支票好吗?
I'd like to cash this money order.
我想兑现这张汇款单。
I want to cash the balance of a traveler's letter of credit.
我要把旅行信用证的结余兑现。
Will you please tell me whether you charge for cheques?
请告诉我兑换支票收手续费吗?
Could you tell me how much the checks cost?
请告诉我这些支票要花多少钱?
What if I overdraw?
如果透支了怎么办?。

取款、结余  
Your balance at the bank is 300 yuan.
你在本行的结余是300元。
Your deposit is exhausted.
你的存款支净了。
Your letter of credit is used up.
你的信用证用完了。
Please tell me how you wish to draw your money.
请告诉我你希望怎样支款。
Fill out a withdrawal form, please.
请填写取款单。
The letter of credit is exhausted.
信用证上的款子已提清。
The letter at Counter 6 will pay you against your number slip.
六号柜台的出纳员将根据你的号码牌付给你钱。
I'd like to know if I can draw on my account for payment of things I buy in Tianjin.
我想知道一下我是否能提取存款来支付天津购物的费用。
I want to withdraw 200 dollars from my deposit account.
我要从我的定期存款中支取200美圆。
I want to close my account with you.
我想结束在你们这儿的帐户。
I'd like to draw 100 yuan against this letter of credit.
我想从这份信用证上提款100元。
May I draw money against the letter of credit here?
我可以在这儿用这份信用证取钱吗?
Could you tell me my balance?
能否把存款结余金额告诉我?
Please let me know my balance.
请告诉我结余金额。

兑换货币  
Please tell me how much you want to change.
请告诉我你要换多少。
How much of the remittance do you want to convert into Japanese yen?
你要把多少汇款换成日圆?
What kind of currency do you want?
要哪种货币?
What‘s it you wish to change?
你有什么要换的?
What kind of currency do you want to change?
要换哪种货币?
In what denominations?
要什么面值的?
Please tell me what note you want.
请告诉我要什么钞票。
Will seven tens be all right?
7张10元的可以吗?
Is it in traveler's cheques?
换旅行支票吗?
I'd like to know how I shall give it to you.
我想知道如何付钱给你。
How would you like it?
你要什么面额的?
Would you kindly sign the exchange form, giving your name and address?
请在兑换单上签字,写出你的姓名和地址,好吗?
Would you please give me seven five-pound notes, four pound notes and four ten-shilling notes, and the rest in small change.
请你给我7张5镑纸币,4张1镑纸币,4张10先令纸币,剩下的要零票。
Would you mind giving me the six pence in coppers?
劳驾给我6便士的铜币。
I'd like to know if you could change this money back into U.S. dollars for me.
我想知道能否把这笔钱兑换成美元。
Could you change these French francs for me?
能给我兑换这些法国法郎吗?
Can you give me 100 dollars in Swiss francs?
能否给我100美圆的瑞士法郎?
I'd like to convert the full amount of the remittance into U.S. dollars.
我想把全部汇款换成美圆。
I'd like some coins for this note.
我想把这张纸币换成硬币。
I'd like to break this 50 dollar note.
我想把这张50美圆纸币换开。
Five twenties and ten singles, please.
请给我5张20元和10张一元的。
I need 300 dollars in 100-dollar cheques.
我要300美圆票面为100美圆的支票。
I hope you'll give me ten traveler's cheques of 100 dollars each.
我希望给我10张面额为100美圆的旅行支票。
In fives, please.
请给我5元票面的。
Could you give me some small notes?
给我一些小票好吗? 。

储蓄存款利息
What's the interest rate for the savings account?
储蓄存款的利率是多少?
Do you pay interest on this account?
这种存款付给利息吗?
Please tell me what the annual interest rate is.
请告诉我年利率是多少。
Interest is paid at the rate of 1% per annum at present.
目前每年的利率是1%。
It allows you to earn a little interest on your money.
这可使你从存款中获得一点利息。
The account carries interest of 4%.
该存款有4%的利息。
The interest is added to your account every year.
每年的利息都加到你的存款中。
The interest rate for the savings account is 4%.
储蓄存款的利率是4%。
It varies from time to time. At present it is 6%.
(年息)每个时期都不同,现在是六厘。

外汇
Tell me the current rate for RMB, please.
请告诉我人民币的现价。
What's your selling rate for RMB yuan in notes today?
你们今天人民币现钞的售价是多少?
What's the dollar going for today?
美圆今天的售价是多少?
Our buying rate for notes is 523 yuan for 100 dollars.
我们100美圆的现钞买入价是523元。
It's 200 French francs at today‘s selling rate.
今天的卖出价是200法国法郎。
The buying rate of U.S. dollar notes is 460 yuan per hundred dollars.
美圆现钞买入价是100美圆付460元。
And how much will it be in Japanese currency?
换成日本币是多少?
How much would I get for 300 Japanese yen?
300日圆可兑换多少钱?
I'd like to know the exchange rate for German marks.
我想知道德国马克的兑换率。
What rate are you giving?
你们提供的兑换率是多少?
What's the exchange rate today?
今天的兑换率是多少?
Please tell me what you would give me for my U.S. dollars.
请告诉我这些美圆可以兑换多少钱。
Please tell me the current rate for sterling.
请告诉我英国货币的现行兑换率。
If you'll wait a moment, I‘ll find out the rates of exchange.
请等一会儿,我查一下兑换率。
Please wait a moment. I'll find out the exchange rate between U.S. dollars and RMB.
请等一会儿,我查一下美圆对人民币的兑换率。
It's 470 yuan for 100 dollars.
100美圆可兑470元。
The exchange rate today is 200 yen to the pound.
今天的兑换率是一英镑可兑200日圆。
The rate for traveler's cheques is 300 yuan against 100 dollars.
旅行支票的兑换率是100美圆兑300元。
These dollars are worth 1,000 yuan.
这些美圆可换1000元。

分享到
重点单词
  • originaladj. 最初的,原始的,有独创性的,原版的 n. 原件
  • plasticadj. 塑料的,可塑的,造型的,整形的,易受影响的 n
  • initialn. (词)首字母 adj. 开始的,最初的,字首的 v
  • deductvt. 扣除
  • convertibleadj. 可改变的,可交换,同意义的 n. 有活动摺篷的
  • branchn. 分支,树枝,分店,分部 v. 分支,分岔
  • reserven. 预备品,贮存,候补 n. 克制,含蓄 vt. 保留
  • merchantn. 商人,店主,专家 adj. 商业的 vt. 做买卖
  • temporaryadj. 暂时的,临时的 n. 临时工
  • rubbern. 橡胶,橡皮,橡胶制品 adj. 橡胶的 n.