点滴英语天天学第352期:雅思词汇(212)
日期:2020-07-09 07:03

(单词翻译:单击)

1. Expression:teach one’s grandmother to suck eggs

Explanation:To try to teach an older person who is wiser and more experienced and worldly than a young person may think. (班门弄斧)

Example:He is always telling the director how to run the business. That's like teaching his grandmother to suck eggs.

他老是对总裁说该如何管理业务,就跟班门弄斧似的。

Trying to tell Harold anything about pistols is like teaching your grandmother to suck eggs.

试图告诉哈罗德有关手枪事宜如同班门弄斧。

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs. Bob has been playing tennis for years.

不要班门弄斧,鲍勃打网球已经好多年了。

Why are you explaining basic typing to Ethel? Yes, she's 70, but she's been using a computer before you were born—quit teaching your grandmother to suck eggs.

你为什么要向Ethel讲解基本的打字技巧?是的,她已经70岁了,但是在你出生前她就已经使用电脑了——别再班门弄斧了。

2. Expression:lay off

Explanation 1:To stop bothering someone or leave them alone.(停止,语气强烈地喝令他人时使用)

Example:Lay off, will you? I'm working as fast as I can!

别打搅我,行吗?我正以最快的速度工作!

Hey, lay off your brother, OK? Please don't be so rough with him.

嘿,别惹你弟弟了,好吗?请不要对他那么粗暴。

情景对话:

A: Lay off! I don’t want to listen to you.

闭嘴!我不想听你说。

B: Mum, you are a tyrant. You never give me a chance to make a defence.

妈妈,你真是专横,你从来不给我解释的机会。

Explanation 2:To end someone's employment. (解雇

Example:How many people do you think will be laid off in this merger?

你认为这次合并会裁掉多少人?

I figured they would lay me off, I just didn't think it would be this soon.

我想他们会解雇我,只是没想到会这么快。

The automobile factory laid five hundred people off from work.

这家汽车厂解雇了五百人。

In 1979 and again in 1980, we had to lay off thousands of workers, blue-collar and white-collar alike.

在1979年,后来又在1980年,我们不得不辞掉数以千计的工作人员,其中有蓝领的也有白领的。

分享到