BBC地平线系列之《长生不老》第11期:抗衰老药
日期:2013-03-18 20:53

(单词翻译:单击)

原文视听

Could this be the ultimate anti-ageing pill in a bottle?
这最终会成为装在瓶子里的抗衰老药吗
David sold his company to GlaxoSmithKline for 720 million,
大卫以72亿把他的公司卖给了葛兰素史克
but it's too early to know whether it works on humans.
但要知道它是否对人类有效还为时过早
I'm a scientist.
我是个科学家
Occasionally, I experiment on myself as well and so I started
有时我也会拿自己做实验
taking Resveratrol as soon as we had tested it on yeast cells.
在酵母细胞上试验后 我开始服用白藜芦醇
Now, looking back, that was a little mad.
现在回想起来有一点疯狂
We didn't know if it was toxic, might even have caused cancer.
我们不知道它是否有毒或致癌
We now know that it is, as far as we can tell, relatively safe.
我们目前所知的 也只能说它是比较安全的
My wife started taking Resveratrol, my family does.
我太太以及家人都开始服用白藜芦醇了
Now, I don't endorse it, it's still an investigational molecule,
现在我还不支持 它现在仍待调查
but I felt that the science
但我觉得科学已足够发达到
was strong enough for me to take that risk
让我去冒这个险
and I know what's going to happen if I don't take it.
而且我知道如果我不冒险会发生什么
So, now as an anti-ageing scientist, what would his goal be?
所以现在 一个抗衰老科学家的理想是什么
I'd be happy living another few hundred years,
我会因为能再活几百年高兴
but I don't think that's going to happen.
但我不认为有这可能
Eventually, I'll grow old and die,
实际上 我会变老然后死亡
but if I can live a long healthy life,
可我若能一直健康活到
maybe to 90, 100, 110, that would be fine with me.
90 100 110岁 那该多好啊
Though David Sinclair is confident about this drug,
尽管大卫·辛克莱尔对这个药有信心
it'll be a while before he'll know for sure.
但在他肯定前 我们还要等些时日
Meanwhile, on the other side of the continent, another scientist
同时 在这星球的另一端有位科学家
was working on one of the most established anti-ageing beliefs.
正在为已经建立的抗衰老理念而奋斗

重点解释

Occasionally, I experiment on myself as well and so I started taking Resveratrol as soon as we had tested it on yeast cells.有时我也会拿自己做实验,在酵母细胞上试验后,我开始服用白藜芦醇

as well:也;又

He is a friend in word as well as in deed.

他是个言行如一的朋友。

as soon as:一 ... 就

I'll tell him as soon as I see him.

我一见他就告诉他。

We now know that it is, as far as we can tell, relatively safe.我们目前所知的,也只能说它是比较安全的

as far as:就 ... 而言;远到...;到 ... 程度

As far as we know, that man is bad pay.

据我们所知,那人没有信用,欠债不还。

but I felt that the science was strong enough for me to take that risk但我觉得科学已足够发达到让我去冒这个险

take a risk:冒险

He took a risk when he crossed the old bridge.

他冒险过这座旧桥。

分享到
重点单词
  • occasionallyadv. 偶尔地
  • ultimaten. 终极,根本,精华 adj. 终极的,根本的,极限的
  • confidentadj. 自信的,有信心的,有把握的 adj. 易
  • toxicadj. 有毒的 n. 有毒物质
  • establishedadj. 已被确认的,确定的,建立的,制定的 动词est
  • eventuallyadv. 终于,最后
  • yeastn. 酵母,发酵剂 vi. 发酵,起泡沫
  • deedn. 事迹,行为,[法]契约 vt. 立契转让 a
  • endorsevt. 支持,赞同,背书于
  • moleculen. 分子