(单词翻译:单击)
If you are attending a local college, especially one without residence halls,
如果你上本地大学,特别是那种没有学生宿舍的大学,
you'll probably live at home and commute to classes.
你可能需要住在家里,通勤上学。
This arrangement has a lot of advantages. It's cheaper.
这种安排有很多好处。它很便宜。
It provides a comfortable and familiar setting,
你可以享受舒适熟悉的环境,
and it means you'll get the kind of home cooking you're used to
同时也意味着你可以吃家里的食物,
instead of the monotony that characterizes even the best institutional food.
而不是千篇一律的饭堂。
However, commuting students need to go out of their way to become involved in the life of their college
然而,通勤上学的学生需要参与大学生活,
and to take special steps to meet their fellow students.
以及额外的方式与同学见面。
Often, this means a certain amount of initiative on your part in seeking out and talking to people in your classes whom you think you might like.
通常来讲,这意味着你需要主动寻找和班上的你可能喜欢的人们讲话。
One problem that commuting students sometimes face is their parents' unwillingness to recognize that they're adults.
通勤上学的学生还有一个麻烦事,他们的父母不愿意承认他们已经是成人了。
The transition from high school to college is a big one,
从高中到大学的转变是十分巨大的,
and if you live at home you need to develop the same kind of independence you'd have if you were living away.
如果你住在家里,那么你需要建立和你住在外面相同的自主独立。
Home rules that might have been appropriate when you were in high school. Don't apply.
家规可能在你还是高中生的时候适用。但大学不是。
If your parents are reluctant to renegotiate,
如果你的父母拒绝协商,
you can speed the process along by letting your behavior show that you have the responsibility that goes with maturity.
你可以通过让自己的行为显示你可以承担成年人的责任匹配来加快这个进程。
Parents are more willing to acknowledge their children as adults when they behave like adults.
如果孩子的举止表现得像成年人,那么家长会更加愿意认可孩子们的。
If however, there's so much friction at home that it interferes with your academic work.
如果家里有太多的干扰,影响你的学术工作。
You might want to consider sharing an apartment with one or more friends.
那么你最好考虑和你的朋友们合租一间公寓。
Sometimes this is a happy solution when family tensions make everyone miserable.
有时,这是家庭紧张使得每个人不幸时最佳的解决方法。