(单词翻译:单击)
Acid Water
酸雨
What are you doing outside, Don? It's about to rain.
Don你在干嘛呢?这天都快下雨啦!
I'm setting out bottles.
我在放瓶子。
I can see that. But why?
我看得出来!你放瓶子有什么用呢?
For my new business venture. Bottled rainwater!
做新的投资啊。瓶装雨水!
As in living plastic bottles out in the rain and then selling them as health drinks?
就像这样子把生活塑料瓶放在雨中装雨水,然后再把它们当健康饮用水卖了?
Exactly! What could be more pure and fresher than what straight from the heavens!
一点不差!还有什么水比从天上直接降下来的水更纯净更新鲜呢!
Maybe water from the a mountain stream!
或许山泉水可以!
You see any mount stream around here?
那你在附近有看到山泉吗?
Fine. But rainwater isn't exactly pure, Don. It's got a lot chemicals.
好吧,是没有。但是雨水绝不是那么纯净的。雨水中有许多化学物质。
Like what?
比如说?
Well, even without industrial pollution, atmospheric carbon dioxide dissolved into clouds makes rainwater at least slightly acidic.
嗯……即使是没有工业污染,空气中的二氧化碳被云层吸收也会使雨水呈弱酸性。
Oh!
噢!
But here in Indiana, a rain is almost ten times more acidic than natural rainwater.
但是,我们印第安纳州雨水的酸性比天然雨水要高出整整十倍!
Why?
这又是为什么啊?
Well, a lot of power plants and other factories that burn coal to make energy in this Midwestern state. Burning coal releases sulfur and nitrogen oxides into the atmosphere, which make rain more acidic.
在这个中西部城市,有许多的发电厂和其他的工厂都是靠烧煤来产能的。煤燃烧时会产生硫和氧化氮,挥发到大气中,使这里的雨水呈较强的酸性。
That does sound good! What would happen if you drag a rainwater?
这个听起来确实很有道理!那如果人喝了这些酸性的雨水又会怎么样呢?
Nothing! The acid content isn’t high enough to harm humans, and it doesn’t affect the taste of the water, either. But acid rain can damage lakes, streams, and harm trees at high elevations. Also, acid rain accelerates the decay of buildings, statues, and sculptures.
那倒没事。雨水的酸含量不高,不会对人体造成什么伤害,也不会影响水的味道。但是,酸雨会影响湖泊,溪流,以及高海拔地区的树木植被。同时,酸雨还会加快建筑物,雕像,雕塑等的腐蚀。